• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Skills To Add?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Skills To Add?

Hi all,
    First time post so please be gentle I'm thinking of going contracting in the spring, been researching on here the various ins and outs, tons of info so taking it all in. I was wondering if anyone who's doing SQL DBA or other IT contracting could advise on useful ancillary skills to brush up on to complement my technical skills.

I'm currently a SQL DBA with 5 years experience, SQL 2000 MCDBA qualified, SQL 2005 MCTS Qualified (MCITP DBA on the way, Dev and BI to follow), experience with Windows Server 2000, 2003 and 2008 Beta, some theoretical clustering in a virtual environment, NLB server farms, AD, networking, Business Objects, virtualisation and a few other bits and pieces.

The question is - would I be better off with more technical expertise, maybe getting my AD and server skills certified, or would ancillary skills such as MS Project, Visio, project management methodologies and the like be better choices?

Thanks in advance for any help, just want to make sure I'm prepared for it before I stick my head above the parapet

sqlGeek

Anyone?

Comment

I can't help with the skill suggestions, as with all those qualifications it sounds like you must already know everything there is to know about DBA.

However, I noticed your post count is 1 in two consecutive posts and that can't be right surely. Shouldn't the second one be 2? Mods! Administrator!! Looks like there's a bug in the post count function.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Well, your spelling is certainly well above average on here...

Comment

Originally posted by sqlGeek View Post
          ... or would ancillary skills such as MS Project, Visio, project management methodologies and the like be better choices?
          If you are planning on project management, bring your own bench. All the seats are taken on the existing P.M. benches.

There are, however, plenty of technical roles also asking for PRINCE2 so training in that wouldn't necessarily be wasted.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
          X