PDA

View Full Version : New Mobile

lukemg
6th December 2007, 10:01
Ok, time to switch to a mobile through my limited company. Can anyone recommend one of the providers that doesn't kick up a fuss over the billing, company name etc ?
Also, what phone ? I had a Samsung D500 which I really liked but the D900 is cack (sensing buttons are terrible).
Anyone recommend a basic slider that does the job, don't need top of range toy with stuff you only use first day - text + phone are primary requirements. Low usage too so deals around this would help.

Thanks all !

r0bly0ns
6th December 2007, 10:10
We recently switched to T-Mobile on their Business flext tarrifs.
Took our old numbers (from Virgin) with us.

The switch was excellent and hassle free, set up in the company name no problems. All they needed was a company Purchase Order, with the company details on, which I knocked up in word in about 3 minutes.

We got the Nokia N95 and MDA Vario II, but they would probabally be more than you need.

gingerjedi
6th December 2007, 10:20
I don’t know about business tariffs as I've never bothered but I have been looking at these, mainly because they are small and have features to keep me amused during quiet times at work, N95 would be overkill for me and a little bulky.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/phone/specification/Nokia/N81

http://shop.o2.co.uk/phone/specification/Sony_Ericsson/W910i

http://shop.o2.co.uk/phone/specification/Motorola/Z8

I prefer them in that order as Nokia have always been good, my Sony 750i was cack and broke twice in a year, never had a Motorola??

BoredBloke
6th December 2007, 10:47
"The switch was excellent and hassle free, set up in the company name no problems. All they needed was a company Purchase Order, with the company details on, which I knocked up in word in about 3 minutes."

I tried that with Orange. They were a complete pain in the bum about it and I gave up in the end. I had to submit a purchase order also, but they wouldn't tell me what information should be on it. So I submitted a couple and each one contained info which caused the previous one to get rejected.

I'm going to be changing mine in the new year. I want one which has games and can double up as a half decent MP3 player but which isn't the I Phone.

TheFaQQer
6th December 2007, 11:05
When I took out mobile broadband with 3, I needed to send them a PO.

All it said was "Purchase Order - 1 x USB modem @ £xx.xx including VAT" and I scanned and sent it to them.

Not sure if they would need more for a mobile, I doubt it, since that's essentially what I've got with the modem.

r0bly0ns
6th December 2007, 11:21
I tried that with Orange. They were a complete pain in the bum about it and I gave up in the end. I had to submit a purchase order also, but they wouldn't tell me what information should be on it. So I submitted a couple and each one contained info which caused the previous one to get rejected.

When I took out mobile broadband with 3, I needed to send them a PO.

All it said was "Purchase Order - 1 x USB modem @ £xx.xx including VAT" and I scanned and sent it to them.

Not sure if they would need more for a mobile, I doubt it, since that's essentially what I've got with the modem.

All T-Mobile wanted was the same details as the FaQQer put for 3, but also my name, job title and company address.

Wrote it in word, converted it to PDF and emailed it to them. Phones arrived the next business day.

gingerjedi
6th December 2007, 11:27
What's the real advantage of having a mobile through the company? My tariff cost £300 PA so what sort of saving can I expect? There are a few things I don't bother putting through the company as often the time involved to sort it out just doesn't seem worth it.

Am I just lazy?? I can't be the only one with this attitude.

TheFaQQer
6th December 2007, 11:30
What's the real advantage of having a mobile through the company? My tariff cost £300 PA so what sort of saving can I expect? There are a few things I don't bother putting through the company as often the time involved to sort it out just doesn't seem worth it.

Am I just lazy?? I can't be the only one with this attitude.

If the contract is personal, you can claim back business related calls, but no line rental.

If the contract is business, then you can claim the whole bill, including line rental and personal calls. So it comes out of the company as an expense, with no CT to pay or personal tax on it.

chicane
6th December 2007, 12:31
If the contract is personal, you can claim back business related calls, but no line rental.

If the contract is business, then you can claim the whole bill, including line rental and personal calls. So it comes out of the company as an expense, with no CT to pay or personal tax on it.

Thing is though, I think the mobile operators play on the tax benefits to a degree by pushing up the prices of the business tariffs accordingly. I'm on a personal tariff costing £15/month for around 100 texts and 600 mins of calls - I doubt you'd get anything nearly that competitive on a business tariff unless on bulk discount.

Moscow Mule
6th December 2007, 12:34
Thing is though, I think the mobile operators play on the tax benefits to a degree by pushing up the prices of the business tariffs accordingly. I'm on a personal tariff costing £15/month for around 100 texts and 600 mins of calls - I doubt you'd get anything nearly that competitive on a business tariff unless on bulk discount.

This is where the negotiator in you comes out and demands they give you a personal tariff on your business account.

r0bly0ns
6th December 2007, 13:22

Not T-Mobile, the Business Flext Tarrifs cost exactly the same as the personal ones.

The only difference is the prices for business ones are listed Ex VAT.

Dark Black
6th December 2007, 13:22
When I moved from my personal tariff with Orange to my Business tariff with Vodafone (which went very smoothly btw) I got loads more free mins and texts for about a tenner a month less, and a nice shiny new N95 to boot.

No complaints here :)

mailric
10th December 2007, 17:24
whats the deal if you get a personal contract but set your direct debits up through your business bank account?

still claim it all as a business expense? (no vat, ct etc.)

this has been a reccomended approach as my company would fail a credit check given its only been set up a month.

TheFaQQer
10th December 2007, 17:27
whats the deal if you get a personal contract but set your direct debits up through your business bank account?

this has been a reccomended approach as my company would fail a credit check given its only been set up a month.

It's been argued before, and it's a grey area.

My opinion would be that if there was an investigation, since the contract is in your name, and they did the credit check on you, then it would not be classed as a business tariff, therefore you could not claim the whole bill as an expense.

You can still claim the business related calls, and the VAT on those, but no line rental and no personal calls, as you can with a business tariff.

r0bly0ns
10th December 2007, 22:51

Have you tried offering to pay them some money up front?
I can't see them refusing to give you a contract if you pay the first x months of line rental up front.....

RandyW
10th December 2007, 23:36
In my day we didn't need new fangled gadgets like telephones.

mailric
11th December 2007, 14:44
Have you tried offering to pay them some money up front?
I can't see them refusing to give you a contract if you pay the first x months of line rental up front.....

good point, but the last too shops i've been in seem to frigin stupid to understand my situation.

seem to have differing opinions on this.. wander what an accountant might think............ (guys/gals?)
:D

dotnetter
11th December 2007, 15:00
My company was refused by O2 only been running year and half so I took out a personal contract instead out of the companies account. Accountant says it's alright.

For the record I got a BlackBerry curve and I love it, very solid phone for calls, email and internet, full querty keyboard but still small enough to stick in your pocket.

TheFaQQer
11th December 2007, 15:37
My company was refused by O2 only been running year and half so I took out a personal contract instead out of the companies account. Accountant says it's alright.

For the record I got a BlackBerry curve and I love it, very solid phone for calls, email and internet, full querty keyboard but still small enough to stick in your pocket.

Accountant ain't liable for when HMRC tell you that it's not allowed.

dotnetter
11th December 2007, 15:46
Yeah I know, but what harm can it do?

If i can't claim for it I can't claim for it simple as that.

chef
11th December 2007, 16:31

a mate of mine has only had his company for 4 months and he passed the credit check with t-mobile with no problems for a business tariff.

TheFaQQer
11th December 2007, 17:09
Yeah I know, but what harm can it do?

If i can't claim for it I can't claim for it simple as that.

If you can't claim for it, and have done, then there is a higher chance that HMRC will take a greater interest in the rest of your company, what other expenses you've allowed, what contracts you have done, PAYE etc. etc.

Which sounds like a lot of expense and pain for saving a few quid on your mobile phone bill.

Each to their own, though.

Bagpuss
11th December 2007, 17:38
The only option is the iPhone it's totally nigel