• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Mobile

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mobile

Ok, time to switch to a mobile through my limited company. Can anyone recommend one of the providers that doesn't kick up a fuss over the billing, company name etc ?
    Also, what phone ? I had a Samsung D500 which I really liked but the D900 is cack (sensing buttons are terrible).
    Anyone recommend a basic slider that does the job, don't need top of range toy with stuff you only use first day - text + phone are primary requirements. Low usage too so deals around this would help.

Thanks all !

We recently switched to T-Mobile on their Business flext tarrifs.
    Took our old numbers (from Virgin) with us.

The switch was excellent and hassle free, set up in the company name no problems. All they needed was a company Purchase Order, with the company details on, which I knocked up in word in about 3 minutes.

We got the Nokia N95 and MDA Vario II, but they would probabally be more than you need.

Comment

I don’t know about business tariffs as I've never bothered but I have been looking at these, mainly because they are small and have features to keep me amused during quiet times at work, N95 would be overkill for me and a little bulky.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/phone/specification/Nokia/N81

http://shop.o2.co.uk/phone/specifica...Ericsson/W910i

http://shop.o2.co.uk/phone/specification/Motorola/Z8

I prefer them in that order as Nokia have always been good, my Sony 750i was cack and broke twice in a year, never had a Motorola??
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

"The switch was excellent and hassle free, set up in the company name no problems. All they needed was a company Purchase Order, with the company details on, which I knocked up in word in about 3 minutes."

I tried that with Orange. They were a complete pain in the bum about it and I gave up in the end. I had to submit a purchase order also, but they wouldn't tell me what information should be on it. So I submitted a couple and each one contained info which caused the previous one to get rejected.

I'm going to be changing mine in the new year. I want one which has games and can double up as a half decent MP3 player but which isn't the I Phone.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

When I took out mobile broadband with 3, I needed to send them a PO.

All it said was "Purchase Order - 1 x USB modem @ £xx.xx including VAT" and I scanned and sent it to them.

Not sure if they would need more for a mobile, I doubt it, since that's essentially what I've got with the modem.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            I tried that with Orange. They were a complete pain in the bum about it and I gave up in the end. I had to submit a purchase order also, but they wouldn't tell me what information should be on it. So I submitted a couple and each one contained info which caused the previous one to get rejected.
            Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            When I took out mobile broadband with 3, I needed to send them a PO.

All it said was "Purchase Order - 1 x USB modem @ £xx.xx including VAT" and I scanned and sent it to them.

Not sure if they would need more for a mobile, I doubt it, since that's essentially what I've got with the modem.
            All T-Mobile wanted was the same details as the FaQQer put for 3, but also my name, job title and company address.

Wrote it in word, converted it to PDF and emailed it to them. Phones arrived the next business day.

Comment

What's the real advantage of having a mobile through the company? My tariff cost £300 PA so what sort of saving can I expect? There are a few things I don't bother putting through the company as often the time involved to sort it out just doesn't seem worth it.

Am I just lazy?? I can't be the only one with this attitude.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                What's the real advantage of having a mobile through the company? My tariff cost £300 PA so what sort of saving can I expect? There are a few things I don't bother putting through the company as often the time involved to sort it out just doesn't seem worth it.

Am I just lazy?? I can't be the only one with this attitude.
                If the contract is personal, you can claim back business related calls, but no line rental.

If the contract is business, then you can claim the whole bill, including line rental and personal calls. So it comes out of the company as an expense, with no CT to pay or personal tax on it.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  If the contract is personal, you can claim back business related calls, but no line rental.

If the contract is business, then you can claim the whole bill, including line rental and personal calls. So it comes out of the company as an expense, with no CT to pay or personal tax on it.
                  Thing is though, I think the mobile operators play on the tax benefits to a degree by pushing up the prices of the business tariffs accordingly. I'm on a personal tariff costing £15/month for around 100 texts and 600 mins of calls - I doubt you'd get anything nearly that competitive on a business tariff unless on bulk discount.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                    Thing is though, I think the mobile operators play on the tax benefits to a degree by pushing up the prices of the business tariffs accordingly. I'm on a personal tariff costing £15/month for around 100 texts and 600 mins of calls - I doubt you'd get anything nearly that competitive on a business tariff unless on bulk discount.
                    This is where the negotiator in you comes out and demands they give you a personal tariff on your business account.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X