• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House prices are opinion - debt is fact

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House prices are opinion - debt is fact

Article by Jeff Randall in Telegraph today. Can't find it online.

He made some good points about debt - then ruined it by quoting Roger Bootle from 4 years ago. Who said we were all doomed then - but has had to eat large amounts of humble pie.

Anyway Jeff thinks that ever time he gets in a taxi he gets BTL advice from driver. This means the end is nigh.

When the shoe shine boy starts giving stock tips. Sell.

Think about it. When the lower earners of society are all buying BTLs then who the hell is there left to rent.

Comment

are taxi drivers the lower earners ?

I was talking to a taxi driver in woking and he owned the licence, cost him about 55k gbp and he reconned he was bringing in 3k a week.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        are taxi drivers the lower earners ?

I was talking to a taxi driver in woking and he owned the licence, cost him about 55k gbp and he reconned he was bringing in 3k a week.

Milan.
        A possible Plan B !?

I have thought about it, a bit of day time driving for semi retirement pocket money. A couple of older blokes I know, one a struck off solicitor, seem to earn a decent living at it after stumbling into it because there was no options on offer.

Comment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../07/do0701.xml

Comment

roots,

I don't think you'll be needing to worry about that,

I am concluding that those of us riding the new fangled wave will be fine and those of you deep into old fangled will be fine for a long long time

old fangled isn't going to go away, and will be around for ever in my opinion, in the old fangled area a lot of the experts are getting on and no new blood is coming into the area and any new blood that comes in steers clear of old fangled therefore, you people in old fangled will be like the mainframers, you'll enjoy a late renaissence in demand

us lot on new fangled will keep going from crisis to crisis, escalation to escalation, opening HIGH messages and muddling though - but it pays the bills and no one else knows how to do it and when problems are solved and things begin to work it is very satisfying

what say thee ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              roots,

I don't think you'll be needing to worry about that,

I am concluding that those of us riding the new fangled wave will be fine and those of you deep into old fangled will be fine for a long long time

old fangled isn't going to go away, and will be around for ever in my opinion, in the old fangled area a lot of the experts are getting on and no new blood is coming into the area and any new blood that comes in steers clear of old fangled therefore, you people in old fangled will be like the mainframers, you'll enjoy a late renaissence in demand

us lot on new fangled will keep going from crisis to crisis, escalation to escalation, opening HIGH messages and muddling though - but it pays the bills and no one else knows how to do it and when problems are solved and things begin to work it is very satisfying

what say thee ?

Milan.
              To summarise: Legacy ... it's the way forward!

a.k.a. money for old rope
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Dont know about the south but Taxi Drivers up north are probably on £30k. Less if you don't own the car.

Probably becuase up north there is less competition for the licences.

Comment

the bloke I spoke to did a lot of heathrow and gatwick and railway stations work and worked nights at the weekend

granted he worked hard, but how many people have got somewhere without working ahrd ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    Dont know about the south but Taxi Drivers up north are probably on £30k.
                    Sounds about right, it wasn't a Plan B to earn a fortune just to tick over and provide beer money and also preserve the pot for later full retirement.

Milan, your theory is about right, but I think the rate for bog standard techie work could end up at a level were it isn't viable if you need to travel and stay away to get that work.

Comment

Working...
                    X