• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Scots very largely built the British Empire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Scots very largely built the British Empire

My invoice is in the post...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../09/do0907.xml

Interesting reading, what happened to British greatness and how do we get it back again?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

What a load of twaddle.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

...it [English] will be history's first true world-tongue, a genuine lingua franca

Comment

The Scots very largely built the British Empire; the Scottish names that proliferate across the lands of the English-speaking peoples - Nova Scotia in Canada, Perth in Western Australia, Dunedin in New Zealand, Nevis in the British West Indies, South Shetland and South Orkney in British Antarctica, for example
        By the look of those backwaters I'd say it's because the English ran out of their own names after naming all the important places - New York, Washington, two Victorias, East London, Boston, Wellington, Christchurch, Kingston, Cambridge....

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          What a load of twaddle.
          British greatness?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            British greatness?
            We used to be great at IT. Then we exported all the work to India.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              We used to be great at IT. Then we exported all the work to India.
              We used to be great at India as WELL

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
                By the look of those backwaters I'd say it's because the English ran out of their own names after naming all the important places - New York, Washington, two Victorias, East London, Boston, Wellington, Christchurch, Kingston, Cambridge....
                There's also a London in Ontario, Hull, Windsor, Regina, Churchill, Cornwall...
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I've been to Aberdeen, in Hongkong, in fact there's 21 of them around the world - adventurers and then some

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                    There's also a London in Ontario, Hull, Windsor, Regina, Churchill, Cornwall...
                    One in Wales somewhere near some potholing spot that school kids go to I think too.

Seem to be quite a few river Avons around too.

Comment

Working...
                    X