• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UBS just posted $10 billion writedown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UBS just posted $10 billion writedown

oh dear...

Doomed!
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Does anyone else get the feeling that this time we really are sliding into something horrible?

Comment

Somehow..they'll still manage to make a "profit". How much do they have in their "charitable trust"?
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
          Does anyone else get the feeling that this time we really are sliding into something horrible?
          It's just a start. People have not started defaulting on their morgages to have banks take over their houses to put on market, and then big drops in house values - all this will make banks write off many more billions. Sub-prime market in the USA, apparently, is over $1 trln, imagine the write down if house prices drop 50%...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            It's just a start. People have not started defaulting on their morgages to have banks take over their houses to put on market, and then big drops in house values - all this will make banks write off many more billions. Sub-prime market in the USA, apparently, is over $1 trln, imagine the write down if house prices drop 50%...
            $500 billion is about 10 x Northern Rock investment by British Government, not very much for a nation like the US.
            If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
              $500 billion is about 10 x Northern Rock investment by British Government, not very much for a nation like the US.
              Do you think USA will bail out their (very likely foreign actually) banks to the tune of $500 bln?

Comment

The same banks to which the government owes money to? perhaps a bit of you scratch mine and I'll scratch yours!
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Blah-blah-blah

1 zillion trillion is b*ll*x. The truth is: WE DON'T KNOW - UBS has had more exposure in the securitized mortgages as they have different processes when assessing risk from someome like Nationwide BS. More risks = more rewards in that market. Generally, banks are playing the odds, however, unlike black-jack or roulette gamblers, the risk is pre-assessed and 99% they will only lose what they can afford to, in UBS case this is more than most. Don't panic.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Do you think USA will bail out their (very likely foreign actually) banks to the tune of $500 bln?
                    I would guess that they won't, but they could if they needed and it wouldn't cost them any more than e.g. the Iraq war.
                    If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Working...
                    X