• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Festive Good News

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Festive Good News

Cliff vows no more Xmas records

(Tuesday December 11, 2007 01:25 PM)

Pop veteran Sir Cliff Richard has vowed never to release another Christmas single as music fans are no longer interested in festive chart battles.

The 67-year-old star has released nine festive-themed singles to date and narrowly missed out on the Christmas number one last year when his song 21st Century Christmas only reached the number two spot. It would have been the fourth time one of his records clinched the coveted chart position.

However, the singer has refused to be drawn into the festive music race again.

He says, "Everybody thinks I'm the only one who releases a record at Christmas but everyone and their mother does one.

"I've got an album out for Christmas but no single. Singles are such a no no now - you can't sell them."
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Can't be true. He is the Peter Pan of Pop.

Although he seems to be turning into a lizard.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      "I've got an album out for Christmas but no single. Singles are such a no no now - you can't sell them."
      Translation. They make so little dosh it isn't worth getting out of bed for.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        Translation. They make so little dosh it isn't worth getting out of bed for.
        At his age getting out of bed is a challenge anyway

Comment

All we ever hear at this time of year is the two 70s Xmas classics Slade and Wizard blaring out all over shopping centres UK wide anyway! Christmas without these two would be like Christmas without Santa. They're practically Christmas carols now, along with Once in Royal David's City...Hark the Herald....etc. So why should any other artist, even Cliff, bother with newbie songs at Xmas when they can never hope to compete with these two for longevity and soppy, poppy seasonal sentimentality.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
            So why should any other artist, even Cliff, bother with newbie songs at Xmas when they can never hope to compete with these two for longevity and soppy, poppy seasonal sentimentality.
            That hasn't stopped Cliff for the last quarter of a century

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
              All we ever hear at this time of year is the two 70s Xmas classics Slade and Wizard blaring out all over shopping centres UK wide anyway! Christmas without these two would be like Christmas without Santa. They're practically Christmas carols now, along with Once in Royal David's City...Hark the Herald....etc. So why should any other artist, even Cliff, bother with newbie songs at Xmas when they can never hope to compete with these two for longevity and soppy, poppy seasonal sentimentality.
              Yeh agree with you, Slade and Wizard are the new Bing Crosby for Xmas songs but not Zep
              sorry Diver I'm off the cigs again

Comment

I only know about Cliff Richards from "Young ones" series, I've got the impression they were not very fond of it (at least one of them)...

Comment

Shame... a Cliff Richard Christmas CD is a gift that keeps on giving
                  Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

You mean you give it and then each subsequent year, the recipient passes it on
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X