• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ex-CIA agent: We used torture and it worked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By Alex Spillius in Washington and Sally Peck

A former CIA agent has said he believes the agency is justified in using methods that may amount to torture in order to extract crucial information from terror suspects.

In the first detailed account by a CIA operative of the controversial interrogation technique known as “waterboarding”, John Kiriakou said a suspected al-Qa’eda lieutenant called Abu Zubaydah had responded “like flipping a switch”.

The information Zubaydah gave after 35 seconds of waterboarding probably disrupted "dozens" of planned attacks, Mr Kiriakou said.

“Like a lot of Americans, I’m involved in this internal, intellectual battle with myself, weighing the idea that waterboarding may be torture versus the quality of information that we often get after using the technique,” Mr Kiriakou, told ABC News.

He added: “What happens if we don’t waterboard a person and we don’t get that nugget of information and there’s an attack? I would have trouble forgiving myself. At the time, I felt that waterboarding was something that we needed to do.”

The controversial technique involves restraining a prisoner on an inclined board with the subject's head positioned lower than his feet. Water is then poured on his face, triggering a gag reflex and choking the subject. In some cases, the subject's head may be submerged under water. (AtW's comment: shirtley they intentionally make head submerged to make simulation believeable? No doubt they also say some words to the effect that he will die now unless he talks.)

Mr Kiriakou, who now works in the private sector, came forward as the CIA faced sharp criticism for destroying a videotape of Zubaydah’s interrogation, along with another showing the interrogation of a second suspected al-Qa’eda member.

Critics have charged that the agency destroyed the tapes to hide evidence of illegal torture.

Zubaydah’s captors strapped him to a board, wrapped his nose and mouth in cling film, and poured water on his face, to simulate drowning.

Mr Kiriakou was a leading member of the team questioning Zubaydah in Pakistan in 2002 but he said he did not take part in the waterboarding.

The CIA’s director, Michael Hayden, who was not leading the agency when the tapes were destroyed, was today questioned by the Senate intelligence committee after claiming that the CIA destroyed tapes of the interrogation to protect the identity of the CIA agents.

Human rights organisations have expressed scepticism over Mr Hayden's insistence that no torture was used in the interrogation of the suspects.

"Millions of documents in CIA archives, if leaked, would identify CIA officers," Tom Malinowski, the Washington director of Human Rights Watch, said.

"The only difference here is that these tapes portray potentially criminal activity.

"They must have understood that if people saw these tapes, they would consider them to show acts of torture, which is a felony offence."

The issue raises difficult questions for the Bush administration, which has faced international criticism for its treatment of terror suspects and now faces charges from Democrats and human rights groups that it tried to cover up past abuse.

--------

Good job Mr Bush - good chaps of KGB are very happy at you doing same things that they do, now they point at X-Ray camp, torture etc.

Waterboarding sounds like a new extreme sport. Anyone here up for it?

Sounds like great fun at parties
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

I know it sounds a bit pathetic but, this story made me want to cry, just a little.

I REALLY, REALLY do not want to be associated with such practices and have whinged on about the wrongness of the 2nd Gulf War since before it started.

But, WTF can we do?

Torture is supposed to have gone away in medieval times. I know it never did, but is there any way we can have the perpetrators done as war criminals? I know the answer is "no" and it makes me ashamed of the society we live in.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

If torture was so successful why won't they show evidence of those multiple lots that were prevented, where are the court cases? Main problem with torture is that people who get tortured will tell you anything you want to hear just to stop the pain. Additional problem is that by using torture you become nazi like state - extremely bad PR.

Comment

I would only condone the use of torture to save the life of a child

Adults can look out for themselves
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Although I see the need for torture, and do appreciate that some people might find it a bit icky, I would have thought a safer bet would be to use truth serums ?

No need for torture then. A quick jab and they talk like a canary and it's all legal and perfectly above board. It's not like anyone can complain about a small prick, can they ?
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              Although I see the need for torture, and do appreciate that some people might find it a bit icky, I would have thought a safer bet would be to use truth serums ?

No need for torture then. A quick jab and they talk like a canary and it's all legal and perfectly above board. It's not like anyone can complain about a small prick, can they ?
              C'mon, we've all complained about him at one time or another
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Morally it's indefensible.

Then there's the conundrum part - if you stop an attack which prevents others being killed, is it defensible? Toughie that one. Once you've started down that path, where do we draw a line on aceptable/unnaceptable torure?

Do I believe a torturer telling me that torture is effective - no, I'm sure of that part however.
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                  Morally it's indefensible.

Then there's the conundrum part - if you stop an attack which prevents others being killed, is it defensible? Toughie that one. Once you've started down that path, where do we draw a line on aceptable/unnaceptable torure?

Do I believe a torturer telling me that torture is effective - no, I'm sure of that part however.

those being tortured will say anything - mind you I would be happy if torture was used on Gordon Brown or any family court judge. In fact I would volunteer to perform it.

Comment

Apparently, in Egypt, suspected members of terrorist groups were rounded up and tortured. This severely impacted the efficacy of the terrorist organisations, because the stooges that they use to actually carry out the attacks were not so willingly recruited, knowing they faced torture if they were suspected. So there does appear to be a deterrent effect.

Perhaps we should bring back the birch.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X