• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in NY as a contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in NY as a contractor

My gf work have asked her to go out to the New York office to work for a year she has asked me if I would like to come with her, they will sort out all the accomadation etc for her, nice apartment in central NY, so I dont have to worry about a place to live. I would really love to do it for a year, even with the exchange rate being poo.

What is the situation though regarding a UK national working in the US ? Someone mentioned to me I would need to be sponsored, I dont really want to take a permy role. Can I just go there and look for work, or do I need to sort this sponsorship out ? Obviously I have to consider the tax implications etc but first thing is can I work there ?

Originally posted by MobileCheese View Post
    My gf work have asked her to go out to the New York office to work for a year she has asked me if I would like to come with her, they will sort out all the accomadation etc for her, nice apartment in central NY, so I dont have to worry about a place to live. I would really love to do it for a year, even with the exchange rate being poo.

What is the situation though regarding a UK national working in the US ? Someone mentioned to me I would need to be sponsored, I dont really want to take a permy role. Can I just go there and look for work, or do I need to sort this sponsorship out ? Obviously I have to consider the tax implications etc but first thing is can I work there ?
    I don't think that you can even go to the USA (unless it is on holiday) unless you have either
    a) a job or
    b) someone to sponsor you
    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Doesn't seem to apply to all those Mexicans who keep hopping over the border though ....

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
        I don't think that you can even go to the USA (unless it is on holiday) unless you have either
        a) a job or
        b) someone to sponsor you
        Could try as a non-working spouse. Think of the tax savings when you have no income!
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Could try as a non-working spouse. Think of the tax savings when you have no income!
          I would have to marry her then to become a spouse ? Doubt I would get permy if Im only going to be there a year.

Comment

Most people can only get a 3 month tourist visa, which means you can't even work.

To live there for a year you'd need a green card. To get one, the only ways I know of are to either marry a Yank, bring in cash to buy or start a business, be a student or be sponsored by a company to work for them.

As for company sponsorship, it's pretty difficult as the company has to convince immigration that you are really the only person for the job, and a US citizen couldn't do it just as well.
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

You need someone to sponsor you for a work visa, H1B IIRC. This will cost them a couple of grand though. You can only spend 90 days there on visa waiver before having to leave the country.

Comment

Maybe this is a crafty ploy by your girlfriend to get you to marry her for a green card?

Questions you should be asking yourself about her now include:

How fit is she?
                Whats she like in the sack?
                Could you realistically land yourself another of equal or better merits?

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                  Maybe this is a crafty ploy by your girlfriend to get you to marry her for a green card?

Questions you should be asking yourself about her now include:

How fit is she?
                  Whats she like in the sack?
                  Could you realistically land yourself another of equal or better merits?

HTH
                  Do you mind giving up all your capital/income if you divorce? Do you object to not seeing any children ever again?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    You can only spend 90 days there on visa waiver before having to leave the country.
                    Does that mean you can nip off to Canada for a weekend and come back and get a new visa waiver every three months?

Do some work from home coding and bingo no one would ever know right?

Comment

Working...
                    X