• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Light Gun

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light Gun

Thought I'd dust of my old antique games cosole that has a light gun with my large LCD TV.

However the light gun doesn't work with the LCD TV, but did work with a big old fashioned CRT TV.

Can someone here who understands the details of how TV's work explain why the light guns doesn't work on the LCD, and if there is any way of making it work?

Should I put the light gun in the bin?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    No. Someone might call the police and you can get shot. If you want quick divorce then ask your wife to do it.

Comment

Have you tried random tinkering with the sensor calibrator?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Thought I'd dust of my old antique games cosole that has a light gun with my large LCD TV.

However the light gun doesn't work with the LCD TV, but did work with a big old fashioned CRT TV.

Can someone here who understands the details of how TV's work explain why the light guns doesn't work on the LCD, and if there is any way of making it work?

Probably because the gun uses Cathode Ray Timing.

This method relies on the nature of the cathode ray tube inside the video monitor. (CRTs were the only affordable TV monitors in the late 1980s and early 1990s, when this method was popularized.) The screen is drawn by a scanning electron beam that travels across the screen starting at the top until it hits the end, and then moves down to update the next line. This is done repeatedly until the entire screen is drawn, and appears instantaneous to the human eye as it is done very quickly.

When the player pulls the trigger, the computer (often assisted by the display circuitry) times how long it takes the electron beam to excite the phosphor at the location at which the gun is pointed. It then calculates the targeted position based on the monitor's horizontal refresh rate (the fixed amount of time it takes the beam to get from the left to right side of the screen). Either the computer provides a time base for the horizontal refresh rate through the controller's connector , or the gun reads the composite video signal through a T-connector on the A/V cable. Once the computer knows where the gun is pointed, it can tell through collision detection if it coincides with the target or not.

Display timing is useless with plasma, LCD, and DLP, which refresh all pixels at the same time.

Don't chuck the gun in the bin, just by a cheap CRT telly to use with the console.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Probably because the gun uses Cathode Ray Timing.

This method relies on the nature of the cathode ray tube inside the video monitor. (CRTs were the only affordable TV monitors in the late 1980s and early 1990s, when this method was popularized.) The screen is drawn by a scanning electron beam that travels across the screen starting at the top until it hits the end, and then moves down to update the next line. This is done repeatedly until the entire screen is drawn, and appears instantaneous to the human eye as it is done very quickly.

When the player pulls the trigger, the computer (often assisted by the display circuitry) times how long it takes the electron beam to excite the phosphor at the location at which the gun is pointed. It then calculates the targeted position based on the monitor's horizontal refresh rate (the fixed amount of time it takes the beam to get from the left to right side of the screen). Either the computer provides a time base for the horizontal refresh rate through the controller's connector , or the gun reads the composite video signal through a T-connector on the A/V cable. Once the computer knows where the gun is pointed, it can tell through collision detection if it coincides with the target or not.

Display timing is useless with plasma, LCD, and DLP, which refresh all pixels at the same time.

Don't chuck the gun in the bin, just by a cheap CRT telly to use with the console.

Thanks. Clear, helpful, concise, accurate and polite.

What are you doing on CUK FFS?

Comment

To check that he is right why not pull your 42 inch Plasma telly to bits and check that it isn't faulty. Remeber the order you took it to bits in though as you'll probably want to use it again in the future
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Have you tried turning it off and on?

Chef

Comment

I hope you take out their 'oh so reasonable extended' warranty which covers the for 'accidental' damage
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Buy a Wii and that Crossbow light gun with Link's (the Zelda elf) Crossbow challenge.

Comment

i'm sure daveb meant to credit his explanation to wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_gun

Comment

Working...
                    X