• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What can I do with a 3 month notice period?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I do with a 3 month notice period?

Hi

This is my first post and I hope someone can help.

I am considering contracting for the first time but my notice period is 3 months. So this makes it very difficult to look for contracts. I was thinking in trying to negotiate with my boss to reduce this to 1 month and promise him I do a proper handover etc. to ensure a smooth transition. That way he may see some sense and let me go early.

If he refuses then I see it as a high risk strategy to just hand in my notice without anything to go to.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You'll get some really good advice tomorrow from the day shift. For now, here's something to keep you going.

On the PCG web site is loads of good stuff. Start with their Guide to Freelancing:

http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...ess&Itemid=425

If you haven't read it already, do so: it will answer the other 760 questions you haven't yet thought of.

One solution for the 3 month notice period is to go for defence contracts (or similar) that require security clearance. That currently is taking just under 3 months. You could go just for those contracts, get the letter of offer, hand in your notice and everything will work out about right.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by tsu3000 View Post
      Hi

This is my first post and I hope someone can help.

I am considering contracting for the first time but my notice period is 3 months. So this makes it very difficult to look for contracts. I was thinking in trying to negotiate with my boss to reduce this to 1 month and promise him I do a proper handover etc. to ensure a smooth transition. That way he may see some sense and let me go early.

If he refuses then I see it as a high risk strategy to just hand in my notice without anything to go to.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!
      I think that you will find even with a one month notice period you will have a bit of trouble.

Agents tend to be reluctant to put forward permies for contract roles because time and time again they end up getting cold feet about leaving the permie lifestyle and end up backing out.

If you are sure that contracting is what you want to do, and that you have the right skills and experience to be able to do it then the most satisfactory thing that you could do as far as anyone else is concerned is to hand in your notice now, and start looking nearer to your leaving date. Of course this would mean you could potentially not be working for a while after your permie job finishes.

I was on a two-month notice period at my last permie job. I handed my notice in without anything to go to. And then it was a further two months not working before I lined up a contract.

Or you could just lie to the agent and any potential client and say that you are finishing shortly. If you get offered a contract then you would need to get out of your permie job pretty quickly. There are sure fire ways to do this but only if you will never need a reference from them.

Have you thought about what you will do if your current employer counter offers you a significant payrise to stay?

Comment

Hey Gonzo

Thanks for the advice and insight. There is a high possibility that my employer will counter the offer but I doubt they will ever match contractor rates.

Also thanks for the link BrowneIssue.

Cheers.

Comment

I was on a 3 month notice period at my last permie position and I did see that through. You may be able to negotiate this down but I wasn't too fussed. I had enough cash to survive for 9 months without work so I wasn't in a hurry. I just needed "out" because of the pain and discomfort you get from working for a consultancy.

You just need to be sure this is what you want and can survive with being out of work for a couple of months if thats how long it takes you to secure something.

I took the "high risk" option and quit without anything to go to. I think thats the way to go you need to be available when something comes up. Some people are petrified by this and always want to "line something up" before leaving. There's no guarantees that will happen and it's quite likely the monday after you finish at permie land you'll have no work to go to. I secured something I was happy with in around 3 weeks. I enjoyed the break and my first contract is coming to an end next friday. I'm planning on taking Jan & Feb off anyway so it's worked out ok for me.

If you're unhappy in your permie job (who isn't), you've seen contracts that would suit you and you're confident in your own ability then I'd say give it a go.
          Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

3 months from now will be about the start of the new financial year, which is probably a better time to be looking than January.

At least you have 3 months to prepare: save your money, take out a couple of credit cards, arrange an overdraft facility; that's what I did when I took the plunge.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The most you can be held to is actually the payment period. So if you're paid monthly, then that's one month.

Further, you can't be forced to work. So long as your employer is paying you, you can't work for someone else. If you don't come into work, then your employer can either not pay you - which immediately frees you to work for someone else - or give you "gardening leave".

With this basic information, you should find you are in a strong position to negotiate with your boss.

When I went contracting, I handed in my notice (3 months). I didn't start looking for a contract until the final week. Then my boss offered me a one week notice, if I'd continue to work for them until I found a contract. So I did a further three weeks with them - which enabled me to find a really good first contract.

This was in the days before the internet, so things didn't move quite as quickly as they do now.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Yes it does worry me because there is potentially nothing to go to. What makes it worse in my situ is having two young kids and a mortgage. But I guess this is not uncommon. I do have enough cash reserves to survive for at least a few months. Hopefully with my 8 years experience in IT that should pull me through.

Cheers.

Comment

Be prepared to work anywhere. I'm fortunate to have a contract 20 mins from home. But I've often had to do the weekly commute - sometimes by plane.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Just stand on your desk and drop your pants, then roll up and light a spliff.

That should see you marched out of the door pretty quickly ...

Comment

Working...
                    X