• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Memories of Doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memories of Doom

Interesting article regarding the last recession of the 90's in the Telegraph.

I'm sure there are some on this board who were to young to know/care about it back then but this article provides a snapshot of what was happening back then.

I can relate to the point about uni graduates being two a penny.

A lot of my friends stayed on at uni to do Masters degrees as there were no jobs around at the time. I was relatively lucky in that I was living at home and managed to go full-time at my job at the local flicks until I got my first 'proper' job.

Any of the congregation have any similar war stories?

The recession in the 90s was nothing like that of the early/mid 80s, that was really grim
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Dot Com Crash

I got pummelled during the dot com crash. I got made redundant and tried for a month to even get an interview to no avail.

I didnt fancy sitting at home so I got agency work as a builder while I was looking, I ended up doing rigging and chippie work which was tiring but actually much more rewarding than IT in every sense but financially.

After 4 months I got a gig, and everything has been ok from there.
      There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

There was an article in the "Home" supplement of the Sunday times explaining why there won't be a property crash.

Comment

Dreary little houses in dumps such as Fulham and Shepherds Bush (and larger dumps like Newcastle and Manchester) were fetching ridiculous prices.
          That's fightin talk!!

I was largely insulated from the effects as the company I was permie with was in a growth phase so only shed a small % of the workforce, but I recall meeting a qualified electrician chum who said if you were in a job whatever you do don't leave - he'd gotten rich from a contract in docklands diversified into manufacturing, & got burnt by the downturn- couldn't even keep his core electrical side going & eventually he went bankrupt, lost his house etc.
          I also know loads of others who were repossesed, gave the keys back or were trapped in negative equity for sometime.

I personally timed the breakout into contracting perfectly as there was still a lot of FUD in the City at that time but by then the the market had turned and contractors were being hired again to fill in for permies who had been let go .

I'd hate to be in a postion now of high mortgage + young kids + job insecurity, but it's important to remember that no matter how things get it will always get better
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            The recession in the 90s was nothing like that of the early/mid 80s, that was really grim
            The 80's affected mainly manufacturing & saw the demise of the UK manufacturing base, as such it hit the North more than the South and the effect as you rightly say in the North was grim but left the South relatively unscathed.

The 90's hit the financial heartland of the SE hardest
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              There was an article in the "Home" supplement of the Sunday times explaining why there won't be a property crash.
              Oh that's all right then - EVERYONE THE HOUSE PRICING CRASH IS CANCELLED, EVERYONE BUY HOUSES!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                I can relate to the point about uni graduates being two a penny.
                I graduated in 1992. There were jobs where they said they'd had 250 graduate applicants for one job, so I suppose I was doing pretty well getting interviews. 9 months of being broke, bored to death and living in my Mum's house I finally got something. Not the best time of my life.

My Dad's business went tits up in 1990 too.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I graduated in 1993 and the market was tough.

I had wanted at that time to join the civil service (I know ) but at that time so did everybody else because there were so few jobs about. I passed the graduate recruitment tests but that was the last that I heard.

So I ended up back with mom & dad, didn't work at all for six months, ended up taking a school leaver level job and working my way up (which didn't take that long luckily).

Comment

Memories of Doom

What a great PC game that was. Fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                    X