• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Delivery guys accidently knocked a whole into my wall ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They were going to deliver a large item through the window and then changed their minds after having inspected the property before telling me that they would do.

So they delivered it though the my door instead and put so much pressure against my walls their brute force made an indentation in one of my walls from the inside lock of my door, the plaster in the wall is knocked in.

Two questions as I've never had this done before:

a) I've contacted customer services and they told me that someone on Monday would be contacting me. Should their insurance be paying for the damage ? should I not accept them trying to fob me off if try and get me to get it sorted by my buildings insurance ?

b) I haven't got a clue about wall plastering, the indientation is only 4.5 cm in diameter. Can a plasterer focus on that small part or will he have to do the whole bloody wall again .. the wall is massive.

The thing is that the delivery firm were from a highly reputable UK department
    store... so lets see how things pan out.

They knocked a whole what into your wall?

IGMC
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

John Lewis?
      That boy go raaaaaaa
      Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post

They were going to deliver a large item through the window and then changed their minds after having inspected the property before telling me that they would do.

So they delivered it though the my door instead and put so much pressure against my walls their brute force made an indentation in one of my walls from the inside lock of my door, the plaster in the wall is knocked in.

Two questions as I've never had this done before:

a) I've contacted customer services and they told me that someone on Monday would be contacting me. Should their insurance be paying for the damage ? should I not accept them trying to fob me off if try and get me to get it sorted by my buildings insurance ?

b) I haven't got a clue about wall plastering, the indientation is only 4.5 cm in diameter. Can a plasterer focus on that small part or will he have to do the whole bloody wall again .. the wall is massive.

The thing is that the delivery firm were from a highly reputable UK department
        store... so lets see how things pan out.
        Firstly, they caused it, they should fix it - sounds clear cut to me!

Secondly - no need to re-plaster a whole wall! Plaster boards are large, but filler is used for a small area, hence no need to worry about the whole wall. They will probably need to re-paint the whole wall though to allow to blend, but, would need to wait a good few days first to allow the new plaster to dry out.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
          Firstly, they caused it, they should fix it - sounds clear cut to me!

Secondly - no need to re-plaster a whole wall! Plaster boards are large, but filler is used for a small area, hence no need to worry about the whole wall. They will probably need to re-paint the whole wall though to allow to blend, but, would need to wait a good few days first to allow the new plaster to dry out.
          So no need to do the whole wall then just the whole in it?
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Yeah. Just use some poly filler and smooth it over.

Then will probably paint the whole wall to make it blend in.

They will sort it, they get many claims like this a week so are well versed in how to sort it.

Comment

I used to work in furniture deliveries and if we did anything like that we'd have to put it right
              Last edited by Jog On; 15 December 2007, 13:38. Reason: spelling

Comment

thanks for the advice.

I'm so stressed I'm writing 'whole' instead of 'hole' apparently.

Nice to hear that it will just take some filler and a paint job.

I'll be making sure that this 'reputable' department store coughs up.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
                  thanks for the advice.

I'm so stressed I'm writing 'whole' instead of 'hole' apparently.

Nice to hear that it will just take some filler and a paint job.

I'll be making sure that this 'reputable' department store coughs up.
                  No offense intended - we like our word games around here

They must have things like this happen all the time and be quite used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                    No offense intended - we like our word games around here

They must have things like this happen all the time and be quite used to it.
                    offence
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X