• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Citigroup predicts 10pc fall in house prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edmund Conway
    Last Updated: 1:13am GMT 16/12/2007

House prices are set to fall by 10 per cent over the next three years, experts at Citigroup have warned.

The bank's chief UK economist said property prices were heading for a major downturn, losing a 10th of their value or more over the next three years.
    advertisement

"Whether you call it a crash or a slump, this is going to be very painful," said Michael Saunders. He added that the central banks' move to inject liquidity into money markets would not "remove the prospect the economy will slow sharply because of the drag from severe housing weakness, high household debts, rate hikes and the tightening of credit availability".

Citigroup's warning is the latest from a major bank on house prices and follows Morgan Stanley's prediction of 10 per cent price declines. Until recently, few banks forecast significant falls in property values but fresh evidence of a slowdown has seen several forecasters warn of a housing crash.

Halifax, Nationwide and the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors have warned of widespread falls in prices across the country, and Rightmove is expected to announce a larger-than-expected drop in average asking prices in its December Index. Saunders said his worries had been compounded by signs that mortgage companies are tightening their lending standards as they pass on the higher cost of borrowing to customers.

"It's going to be fairly bleak," he added. "I expect house prices to fall by 3 per cent each year until the end of 2010, though the 10 per cent fall could easily come in one go."

Even at double that I'd still have a tidy profit.

Oh, and somewhere I want to live in.

My house is my home. I don't invest in either IT or houses.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
      Even at double that I'd still have a tidy profit.
      Are you "I am allright Jack"?

Fall in house prices might not hit you directly but it will damage consumer spending big time and this will ricochet and hit most people as companies will cut stuff, slow down investment, start outsourcing more actively etc.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Are you "I am allright Jack"?

Fall in house prices might not hit you directly but it will damage consumer spending big time and this will ricochet and hit most people as companies will cut stuff, slow down investment, start outsourcing more actively etc.
        Doesn't affect me in the least really.
        The rent/lease in my by to let will not drop with house values. My income will be relatively unaffected.
        The only difference is, that there will be a few more cheap properties on the marked for me to buy to let. and it will be a buyers market not a sellers. and paying cash will mean that I get a better deal.
        As I don't intend to sell any of my properties - no affect.
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

And remember children, 10% down is not the same as 10% up!

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY View Post
            And remember children, 10% down is not the same as 10% up!
            And 10% down means that the average value/price rise of 10.5% will now be 0.5% rise in value/price

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
              Doesn't affect me in the least really.
              We shall see.

Comment

We shall see.
                Those with the money will ride it out and make a profit as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                  Those with the money will ride it out and make a profit as usual.
                  If you have got plenty of cash stashed then you might be okay.

Comment

If you have got plenty of cash stashed then you might be okay.
                    Only if Brown keeps his sticky grasping fingers out of my investments

Comment

Working...
                    X