• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this the start of 7 years of woe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will HIP do for this house price boom what tax relief did for last?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7147674.stm

So the HIP thing caused more houses to go on market and prices to drop.

In 1989 same thing happened - due to mortgague tax relief ending. Ironically the cahancellor had to give lenders several months notice to give them time to update their software.

Coincidence - but people might not care and will associate a straw that breaks camels' back, rather than huge load that they put before.

Comment

HIPs have caused an upset in the market - much more supply means a lot longer to sell you property. There is no doubt about it.

Whether it's a catalyst for a big plunge a la the end of MIRAS is debateable.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Lack of credit and seriously hit expectations is what really matters to the market, HIPs are just the excuse that real estates use - no wonder, they would not want to say that property is overvalued, would they?

Comment

Having just had an offer accepted on a hoose, the HIP was entirely surplus to requirements. No one is seriously going to base their buying decision on an energy performance certificate last seen on the front of a fridge freezer and you need to do all your own searches anyway.

Mind you, I got 10% off the asking price so that should cover me for a year or two - hopefully!!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I see an intellectual thread like this gets few postings - unlike TPD which gets innundated!

I uppose its the way teenagers are these days...

Comment

The premise of the article appears to be that people were willing to accept a drop of several thousand pounds in the sale price of their house in order to save the few hundred a HIP would cost.

Repeat after me, everybody: correlation does not imply causation.

As AtW says, it's just a coincidence.

Comment

Aw! Little Monkey!!

Comment

I really can't see why a few hundred quid has panicked people into selling their houses quickly. How utterly stupid is that?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    The premise of the article appears to be that people were willing to accept a drop of several thousand pounds in the sale price of their house in order to save the few hundred a HIP would cost.

Repeat after me, everybody: correlation does not imply causation.

As AtW says, it's just a coincidence.
                    Agh beaten to it! And put much better than my argument too!

Comment

Working...
                    X