• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turned Down Renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turned Down Renewal

Eeeek, just heard from the agency that an extension to my current contract has been offered but there is no reference to the rate rise I requested. I said thanks but no thanks.
    Job has changed hugely since I started e.g. I have 'acquired' responsibility for 30+ staff and I pitched for a substantial rise based on this and other changes.
    I am working away and putting my life on hold, I had a long think about it and requested a rate I would be happy with to continue this for another 6 months.
    So, looks like I am back on the bench come new year !!
    Always scary when you knock work back like this, without something else lined up but I am happy with the decision. Ok, I am bricking it I may never work again but f**k it, I am off anyway !

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Eeeek, just heard from the agency that an extension to my current contract has been offered but there is no reference to the rate rise I requested. I said thanks but no thanks.
    Job has changed hugely since I started e.g. I have 'acquired' responsibility for 30+ staff and I pitched for a substantial rise based on this and other changes.
    I am working away and putting my life on hold, I had a long think about it and requested a rate I would be happy with to continue this for another 6 months.
    Always scary when you knock work back like this, without something else lined up but I am happy with the decision. Ok, I am bricking it I may never work again but f**k it, I am off anyway !
    Good for you and who knows when they realise you are going to stick to your guns they may come back with the improved rate.

Comment

Wrong move

Never push yourself in a corner. You should have spoken to whoever needed to so as to impress upon them your importance to the team. If you are a PM, they probably can't afford to replace you straight away, anything less - even a senior role - they will. Never put yourself out on a limb, you are sending the wrong signal. Unlike yourself, alot use the rate increase as an excuse to get out of a sticky contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
        You should have spoken to whoever needed to so as to impress upon them your importance to the team. If you are a PM, they probably can't afford to replace you straight away
        In my experience if you need to justify your importance then maybe you aren't as important as you think. If they can't afford to replace you then it's not you that is in the corner is it?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          In my experience if you need to justify your importance then maybe you aren't as important as you think.
          But to be fair, in your experience you have never actually BEEN important, have you?
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post

In the current climte I would take extension and make sure 1 month notice - then start job hunting. But you are the expert.

Comment

Good for you in sticking to your priorities. From previous discussions it seems as though you can go without a contract for a while anyway. Best of luck in finding a better one that serves your family life better.

Not sure I would do the same - because there isn't a lot of work in my sector - but I sure do wish I could sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                But to be fair, in your experience you have never actually BEEN important, have you?
                Another insightful, well reasoned and brilliantly laid out contribution. Now run along and go play in the traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  Another insightful, well reasoned and brilliantly laid out contribution.
                  I am not that bad afterall, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    I am not that bad afterall, eh?
                    Who said you were bad?

Comment

Working...
                    X