• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

South Korean scientists clone cat that glows red

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloning is a topic of much debate that has uses for good and uses that aren’t so good. Being able to clone animals with specific disease states could make it easier for researchers to tackle genetic diseases that affect animals and humans alike.

In 2005 the infamous Hwang Woo Suk, South Korean cloning scientist, admitted to falsifying stem cell cloning research. Even when it was later found that Suk had actually made a possibly larger breakthrough than the faked research suggested, the damage was already done and Suk was fired and faces legal ramifications for his falsified work.

Another group of South Korean scientists has cloned cats with a florescent protein gene that makes them glow red in ultra violet light. Similar techniques have been used in everything from roundworms to goldfish to pigs. The procedure used in the cloning process is hoped to be able to help develop treatments for genetic diseases.

The lead scientist on the project, Kong Il-keun from the Gyeongsang National University was able to produce a trio of cats with the altered glowing gene. The cats were born in January and February, two grew to adult and one cat was still born.

The South Korean Ministry of Science and Technology said in a statement, “It marked the first time in the world that cats with [altered fluorescence protein genes] RFP genes have been cloned.”

--

Photoes cute cats, and you won't step on one during the night while getting up for a snack

This is old news - about 3 weeks old.

Comment

This message is hidden because SandyDown is on your ignore list.

Sorry love but I don't know what you write and I feel very good about it

Comment

AtW - Sandy said this is old news about 3 weeks old, I also heard it on the radio about a month ago.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
          AtW - Sandy said this is old news about 3 weeks old, I also heard it on the radio about a month ago.
          See, that's why I said: "Sorry love but I don't know what you write and I feel very good about it", now I don't, thanks zumm

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            See, that's why I said: "Sorry love but I don't know what you write and I feel very good about it", now I don't, thanks zumm
            Anytime

Comment

The procedure used in the cloning process is hoped to be able to help develop treatments for genetic diseases
              So let me get this straight.

The cat's are cloned to glow red under UV light, in order to develop a treatment for a genetic disease that may make them glow red under a UV light ?

How about not cloning them in the first place ?
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                So let me get this straight.

The cat's are cloned to glow red under UV light, in order to develop a treatment for a genetic disease that may make them glow red under a UV light ?

How about not cloning them in the first place ?
                Not many on this board seem too hot on this Science thing. So don't worry too much about it. No one else does.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                X