• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yet more data goes missing...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet more data goes missing...

The details of three million candidates for the driving theory test have gone missing, Ruth Kelly has told MPs.

Whats going to go missing next?

Linky
    Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Originally posted by miffy View Post
    Whats going to go missing next?
    Me me me

Comment

"Pearson had since changed its procedures and used electronic transfer instead of hard drives to move data, she said."

Presumably somebody in DVLA posts it on their MySpace page and the Yanks download it from there

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        "Pearson had since changed its procedures and used electronic transfer instead of hard drives to move data, she said."

Presumably somebody in DVLA posts it on their MySpace page and the Yanks download it from there
        Facebook
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          Facebook
          This a government-related outfit... I don't think they'll have caught up with Facebook yet. Anyway, they've probably got a study from an expensive consultant telling them that a MySpace account will meet all of central Government's data transfer needs for the next five years.

http://www.myspace.com/HMG perhaps... (BTW she might be NSFW, depending on where you work )

Maybe that's what I should do as my next Facebook application - something you can put in your sidebar that allows all and sundry to download confidential information from Government departments

Comment

I think we should consider ourselves fortunate.

After all, in Alexei's Motherland, over 3 million people went missing in various gulags.

At least here in the UK, it's just data.

Count your blessings and all that....:-)
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              After all, in Alexei's Motherland, over 3 million people went missing in various gulags.
              3? A lot more than that. And worse of all many people (mainly old) somehow regard Stalin as great leader

Comment

Actually, I believe the UK Government to be the best place in the world for the protection of data.

Eg, consider this.

Take Switzerland. The banks are paranoid to an extreme, and the data centres are all guarded by gun-toting pew-pew security guards, biological nerve toxins, killer robots, attack hellhounds and trip wire laser cannons.

But, it IS possible to get through all this (Tom Cruise seems to do it really easily in Mission Impossible films, so it cannot be that hard).

Once you are through, the data is at your criminal masterminds' mercy and exploitation.

Now we head to the UK.

After parking round the back of the HMRC offices late one night, you walk past the vandalised CCTV, in to the foyer of the building past the sleeping security guard, head up to the data cente, type "password" as a lucky guess in to the door security system, and bingo you're in the Data Ops room.

What do you find ?

S.F.A

Why, because the 'tards have lost it all, that's why.

There's absolutely nothing there to nick.

Pure bl00dy genius if you ask me.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

And worse of all many people (mainly old) somehow regard Stalin as great leader
                  I somehow suspect that those who believed he was a great leader were not the ones being carted in to gulags for a one-way working holiday.

It's all a matter of perspective.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    3? A lot more than that. And worse of all many people (mainly old) somehow regard Stalin as great leader
                    To many, he was. If you think collective rather than individual, then he was a great leader.

The Russians under the Romanovs were in a damn site pooier state than under Communism.

Comment

Working...
                    X