• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract PM - good idea ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract PM - good idea ?

So here I am, a permie PM ( 9 yrs ) for a consultancy, as part of the HR year end they've forced everyone to update their CV's. Hey I look like a contractor, plenty of sectors, technology and methodologies, 6 months money in the bank ( not from my permie salary !) sounds like a great time to turn to the darkside ;-) , or perhaps I may have seen the light

Seems to be mixed views on the outlook at the moment, should I or shouldn't I ?

Oh and Prince 2 ( delivered about 5 Prince projects not got the piece of paper though ) or APM - any real value in these ?

There's plenty of room on this bench. I'll move up and make room for you if you like.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Spend the money for your Ecnirp certification. Then go freelance...

Comment

Go for it

There is a distinct lack of good PMs in the current market, hence a lot of contractors have come in lately.
        Prince 2 is widely used in most Gov't/NHS projects, rest of the industry needs more experienced than 'certified' PMs.
        A piece of paper is meaningless if you haven't got a clue about a real-life project. Having said that ECNIRP sounds more like the other way round, ie putting practice ideas into theory

Comment

I would think it's better to stay permie in the forthcoming environment. It's not going to be easy come 2008/9.

Then again, working for a consultancy is much the same as being a contractor, except for the following:
          1. You get less money
          2. You get told where to go for work and have no choice in the matter
          3. You have to take crap from clients about how tulipe the x is (x=anything they believe your company is responsible for)
          4. You are owned by the consultancy
          5. You work your nuts off all year to get a 5% bonus
          6. I hate consultancies
          7. I will never work for a consultancy again
          8. My lunch is here.

Comment

Taz: only 50% right

Agree with 1, 2, 3 & 5
            Disagree with 4, 6, 7 & 8

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
              Then again, working for a consultancy is much the same as being a contractor, except for the following:
              1. You get less money
              2. You get told where to go for work and have no choice in the matter
              3. You have to take carp from clients about how tulipe the x is (x=anything they believe your company is responsible for)
              4. You are owned by the consultancy
              5. You work your nuts off all year to get a 5% bonus
              6. I hate consultancies
              7. I will never work for a consultancy again
              8. My lunch is here.
              Ditto

Also - When I did the Prince2 Practitioner course, all the people on it wanted the piece of paper for the c.v. (me included) and ended up having a few heated debates with the instructor about how you would really do it

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
                There is a distinct lack of good PMs in the current market
                I'll be looking for a new gig in the new year so this statement will be slightly less true then.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
                  Agree with 1, 2, 3 & 5
                  Disagree with 4, 6, 7 & 8
                  Listen mate, 8 was true - my lunch was here but it's gone now, right. If you wanna to see it again give me a few hours and I'll pop it on yer desk eh.

Comment

No thanks!

If I can't see something, it's a x not a v.
                    Good reply though.

Comment

Working...
                    X