• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extension :confused:

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension :confused:

In a local goverment public sector contract.Work is good but rates are tulip....only accepted as the R12 stuff could get onto my CV...

The current gig ends in end of Jan and there are shed loads of work yet to finish. The client is quite happy with my work and hence high chances of extension....

The client manager comes to me and says 'I am not sure whether we have the required funding but if we have, would you accept an extension?'

Since I was not expecting a extension request this early...i was caught offguard and said 'yes'(I was expecting this topic to come in Mid of Jan and was contemplating of negotiating a rate rise)

Now that I have said yes does it mean that I have screwed my chances...
    It was just a casual one-liner from the client manager and when the agent comes calling for the extension I can still tell them 'I will take up extension only if there is a rate rise, else i am fine to walk away!'....

Any ideas/suggestions??

What bargaining chips do you have to justify an increase?

How long was your original contract?

Have your responsibilities changed markedly during the contract?

Comment

What have you done special to get a rate rise in January? How long have you been there? How much do you want to stay? How easily replaceable are you?

If you've not been there much, and are doing exactly what you were brought in to do, then there's not much chance of an increase - if they can replace you easily, then they may as well.

You can discuss it with the agent at renewal time, but if you really want a rise, then I'd start looking elsewhere a bit nearer the time.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What bargaining chips do you have to justify an increase? -- Have'nt started looking ,so no offers as such

How long was your original contract? -- 3 Months

Have your responsibilities changed markedly during the contract
        --Yes have taken ownership and delivered many critical areas

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          What bargaining chips do you have to justify an increase?

How long was your original contract?

Have your responsibilities changed markedly during the contract?
          Churchill attempting to be helpful and posting something which may or may not be useful ??

Churchill, as you have been a permie for a while now, perhaps you should stay away from contractor issues !!

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
            Churchill attempting to be helpful and posting something which may or may not be useful ??

Churchill, as you have been a permie for a while now, perhaps you should stay away from contractor issues !!
            Really?

Does the fact that I recruit contractors on a regular basis not have any bearing on this topic?

Hmmm, yes, I think it does.

Comment

Originally posted by aj1977 View Post
              What bargaining chips do you have to justify an increase? -- Have'nt started looking ,so no offers as such

I wouldn't really class you having another offer as a bargaining chip in justifying an increase - if it were me, then I'd be wishing you the best of luck in your new role and finding a replacement.

If you can make a case for why you should be getting an increase, then discuss it with the agent at renewal time. It might be worth hinting to the management now, though - if they are trying to secure funding off the back of your current interest and rate and you then spring it on them that you want more, then they may just bin you off anyway.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Now that I have said yes does it mean that I have screwed my chances...
                It was just a casual one-liner from the client manager and when the agent comes calling for the extension I can still tell them 'I will take up extension only if there is a rate rise, else i am fine to walk away!'....
                Doesn't change a damn thing. These extensions are always subject to mutually acceptable terms...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I have a feeling that 'required funding ' thingy is the client's way of messing about and making sure that the contractor does'nt press for a rate rise...

Comment

3 months - sounds like you are p i s s ing in the wind to be honest. "taken ownership and delivered many critical areas" I would think being a contractor you would have to do this anyway. Rate rise after 3 months looks cheeky IMO
                    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                    X