• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you read software license agreements?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you read software license agreements?

There’s often a license agreement to agree before installing software. Do you read it?

Poll follows.
    I always read and ensure that I fully understand a licence agreement
    1.85%
    I usually tick the ‘I’ve read and agree box’ immediately
    29.63%
    I usually do a bit of a pointless skimming through it before agreeing
    20.37%
    I’ve never read a single software license agreement in its entirety
    16.67%
    I read all small print in my financial/legal documents
    7.41%
    Legal small print in documents is intended to mislead and obfuscate and so I don’t bother reading it
    12.96%
    AndyW
    11.11%

The poll is expired.

I dont have time to read that rubbish! I am too busy posting carp on TPD.

Comment

you should get a post count +1 for filling in a poll, it takes time, we shoudl be rewarded
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I used to read them religiously but now I just look for the salient points or any deviation from the standard clauses - if a brief assessment of the risks and impacts of not doing so justify it.

If it was a £15,000pa client-server system with [per seat/per concurrent user] and/or per processor licensing model being used to process mission critical financial data then I guess I would read the licence fairly carefully.

If it was a shareware image editing application I was installing at home for personal use then all I would be interested in was how long I could use it for before I would need to pay for it and I would "suck it and see" on the rest.

Comment

Its usually pointless to read these things. They are usually photocopies of Microsoft's..and if the the print is too small to read...and you get taken to court...it is a possible defence. (possibly)
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

From the iTunes licence agreement:

You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons.

I can't get the feckin thing to sort compilation albums properly so how the feck I would even begin to use it for these purposes is beyond me???
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Where's the "yeah, yeah, 'course I do" box?

Comment

Originally posted by WotNxt View Post
                I used to read them religiously but now I just look for the salient points or any deviation from the standard clauses - if a brief assessment of the risks and impacts of not doing so justify it.
                Must be great chatting to you at parties!

Comment

I've only read them twice.

Just so I could copy and paste the relevant points out in an email to tell an idiot support person who was trying to get me to delete software off my machine that I needed to use to produce the application they wanted to produce, had an Opensource license.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                    Must be great chatting to you at parties!
                    lol, you are probably right!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X