• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you stop grandparents from spoiling your children?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you stop grandparents from spoiling your children?

Mrs Rup and I both told our mothers that they were to buy one present only for the kids. Both have ignored. I know they mean well, but I don't want the kids being spoilt, and I don't want them to expect it either. It makes me angry for 2 reasons: 1. They ignore our wishes as parents 2. I know I will be given a guilt trip by their grandfather when I say they have to leave all but 1 present behind.

I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it, and don't think I'm going to be able to hide it come christmas.

Any advice?
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

a) dont take them to the grandparents, tell the kids that they died on a canoeing trip

or

b) tell the grandparents you no longer have kids after a recent trip to portugal and having a meal/drinks with some friends while alledgedly babysitting

HTH
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Thanks chef, that's lightened my mood if nothing else
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I've had this problem at birthdays - the solution (ish) was to make the grandparents pick the biggest/best present to give to the child on the day, and then the other parents were trickled in over the next few weeks to keep the interest up. Otherwise the present frenzy ends up with the most noisy/attractive present winning, and all the other otherwise decent presents being pretty much ignored.

Got a similar problem this Christmas - I held off getting a Wii for the kids because a) they have plenty of other cool stuff to amuse them and b) it would hog the telly. So what did grandad go and get them?

Comment

Not sure you can stop them......it is just what grandparents do I'm afraid. You could always try and tell them that the kids are both into Malt Whiskies and get them to purchase a couple of bottles which you will "look after" for them. Other than that, or sending the fogies to a variety of Care Homes in Somerset where they will routinely be slowly starved to death, you are royally stuffed!
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            a) dont take them to the grandparents, tell the kids that they died on a canoeing trip

or

b) tell the grandparents you no longer have kids after a recent trip to portugal and having a meal/drinks with some friends while alledgedly babysitting

HTH

Class!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
              Thanks chef, that's lightened my mood if nothing else
              no problem, always happy to help

have a recipe somewhere given to me by a Big Wolf for grandma's.. do you have a cooking pot big enough to hold a granny?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                Mrs Rup and I both told our mothers that they were to buy one present only for the kids. Both have ignored. I know they mean well, but I don't want the kids being spoilt, and I don't want them to expect it either. It makes me angry for 2 reasons: 1. They ignore our wishes as parents 2. I know I will be given a guilt trip by their grandfather when I say they have to leave all but 1 present behind.

I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it, and don't think I'm going to be able to hide it come christmas.

Any advice?
                How old are your children?

Comment

Next year, tell them they want heroin or cocaine.

It's what all the cool kids are doing these days
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba View Post

Class!

thanks Zorba, dont think Ruprect is taking me seriously though

Comment

Working...
                    X