• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Champagne

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Champagne

Can anyone recomend a decent bottle of fizz under £20?

I saw tesco have Lanson Black Label for about £14 but i've no idea what it's like.

Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post

I saw tesco have Lanson Black Label for about £14 but i've no idea what it's like.
    It's not bad - I got a crate of it last year as a pressie and it was nice...
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I read somewhere the Waitrose one rated well
      Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
        I read somewhere the Waitrose one rated well
        Yeah I heard some of the own-label brands were good but I couldn't find anything for this year.

Comment

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html
          Lick my Chutney Lollipop

Comment

It's like p1ss, pardon my French.

If you're in the under £20/bottle market, don't go for champers. There are many fine sparkling wines to be had, some of them far nicer than the cheaper champers.

I can highly recommend Lindauer Special Select NV, a most excellent sparkling drop from New Zealand.

Those who know nothing about sparkling wines will turn their noses up and go "ooooh, can't afford champers, eh?" but they are know-nothing numbnuts if they do (I'm sitting on the fence here). This is better than many £40/bottle champagnes and will only set you back a tenner for almost unbelievable complexity.

However, this is a contrators' board, or so I was led to believe, so why not splash out on one decent bottle? The Taittinger 2002 vintage is drinking really well right now. A fantastic example of a really biscuity champagne and for £45 tastes more like a £100 bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box View Post

I actually thought it was ok!!!

Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

i wonder where you found that search engine from

EDIT: doh, i read the URL and assumed the link had a 12 in it.. ignore me
                Last edited by chef; 19 December 2007, 22:27.
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

If you're in the under £20/bottle market, don't go for champers. There are many fine sparkling wines to be had, some of them far nicer than the cheaper champers.

I can highly recommend Lindauer Special Select NV, a most excellent sparkling drop from New Zealand.

Those who know nothing about sparkling wines will turn their noses up and go "ooooh, can't afford champers, eh?" but they are know-nothing numbnuts if they do (I'm sitting on the fence here). This is better than many £40/bottle champagnes and will only set you back a tenner for almost unbelievable complexity.

However, this is a contrators' board, or so I was led to believe, so why not splash out on one decent bottle? The Taittinger 2002 vintage is drinking really well right now. A fantastic example of a really biscuity champagne and for £45 tastes more like a £100 bottle.
                  Thanks LB, i'll certainly look at the Lindauer.

It's for everyday'ish drinking and I was going to get a few bottles so I don't want to spend a lot. Also I don't think the people I'm planning on sharing it with would notice the difference!

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    I actually thought it was ok!!!

Each to their own of course, but I've always thought that it's no coincidence that both Carling and Lanson are suffixed "Black Label".

Still, it would be a boring world if we all liked the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X