• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heston Blumenthal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heston Blumenthal

Anyone see his perfect christmas last night? The man's a genius. I have to go to the fat duck next year.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Anyone see his perfect christmas last night? The man's a genius. I have to go to the fat duck next year.
    Book now, you might just get a table next year!

Comment

yep i saw it, it looked great, i said exactly the same thing last night in TPD as soon as it finished, the man is a genius.
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Genius? why?

people go mad to spend tonnes of cash on baked bean sorbet and bacon ice cream - sounds like a load of old coq to me.

same as that El Bulli in Barcelona.

'I am a chef, I am an artiste, an auteur'..............zzzzzzzzzzzz - what a boar.
        Last edited by Fishface; 20 December 2007, 13:44. Reason: food reference

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
          Genius? why?

people go mad to spend tonnes of cash on baked bean sorbet and bacon ice cream - sounds like a load of old noddy to me.

same as that El Bulli in Barcelona.

'I am a chef, I am an artiste, an auteur'..............zzzzzzzzzzzz - what a bore.
          You want fries with that?

Comment

ok, go on then, rustle me up a bacon sugar crisp

he's a genius because he breaks down and looks at the chemical composition of a dish and then improves it to perfection so that the end result is in all ways perfect..

it's taking cooking to the extreme, granted, and some people may prefer the regular, grow it in your garden and taste the flavours, also granted, but to go to such lengths for perfection and the ideas he has, in my eyes, makes the man a genius
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              ok, go on then, rustle me up a bacon sugar crisp

he's a genius because he breaks down and looks at the chemical composition of a dish and then improves it to perfection so that the end result is in all ways perfect..

it's taking cooking to the extreme, granted, and some people may prefer the regular, grow it in your garden and taste the flavours, also granted, but to go to such lengths for perfection and the ideas he has, in my eyes, makes the man a genius
              What he said. He constantly learns so he can understand processes, what makes food taste good, how flavours infuse, combine etc. He is also incredibly creative and diligent; always striving for perfection. It has taken him to the very top of his profession so I don't think its overstating it to call him a genius.
              "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post

'I am a chef, I am an artiste, an auteur'..............zzzzzzzzzzzz - what a boar.
                Also he doesn't come across as arrogant. And bore

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                  What he said. He constantly learns so he can understand processes, what makes food taste good, how flavours infuse, combine etc. He is also incredibly creative and diligent; always striving for perfection. It has taken him to the very top of his profession so I don't think its overstating it to call him a genius.
                  I think it's great food theatre, but the man himself appears ever so arrogant and I still have my doubts about the improvements he makes to the taste.

I remember one episode where he was making the perfect steak, and he roasted a big beef joint for a day, cut a middle bit out, blowtorched it, etc etc etc then chucked it in a hot pan and served it with a lump of butter. It looked lovely but I can't help thinking that he would have achieved the same effects by chucking a steak in a hot pan and serving it with a lump of butter.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba View Post
                    achieved the same effects by chucking a steak in a hot pan and serving it with a lump of butter.
                    Attitudes like that mean I don't bother buying steak in the UK

Beef is a meat which takes a lot of time and care to get right. The best I've had literally melted in the mouth (that was in brazil) and was the most amazing taste. The worse is tough as old boots (thats in the UK) and made me wish i'd ordered a burger
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X