• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New regular topic: Squirrel news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New regular topic: Squirrel news

Snakey smells help squirrels stay safe
    Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:02am EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - It's scary being a little, tasty squirrel, but some species of the rodents have come up with an intimidating camouflage -- snake smells.

California ground squirrels and rock squirrels chew up rattlesnake skin and smear it on their fur to mask their scent, a team at the University of California Davis reported.

"They're turning the tables on the snake," Donald Owings, a professor of psychology who helped lead the research, said in a statement.

Barbara Clucas, a graduate student in animal behavior, watched ground squirrels and rock squirrels chewing up pieces of skin shed by snakes and then licking their fur.

The scent probably helps to mask the squirrel's own scent, especially when the animals are asleep in their burrows, they wrote in the journal Animal Behavior.

--

Very clever squirrels

Photo of a cute squirrel here.

How many months before you are flat broke and out on the streets?

Your SKA is 3 yrs in the making and all I can see is posts about squirrels and new emoticons on you own forums.

Oh Dear.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      How many months before you are flat broke and out on the streets?
      You have such a negative viewpoint my fishy friend

Comment

I used to work with a guy who used to be in the Marines. Once he was on an excercise where they had eaten nothing for about 3 days and he was really hungry. Out of the corner of his eye he spotted a squirrel. He said it was kind on instinctive as he stamped on it and killed it. He skinned it and ate it. He said it was quite nice although there isn't much meat on them.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

That's sick Tony, in spetznas they eat worms, not cute fluffy squirrels

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            That's sick Tony, in spetznas they eat worms, not cute fluffy squirrels
            Lets see how you fare in the next 6 months when you are starving on the streets of Brum.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Lets see how you fare in the next 6 months when you are starving on the streets of Brum.
              Do you want to make a bet that I will? I doubt so. New index is shaping out very well and it will be of actual interest to people

Comment

it will be of actual interest to people
                Don't be ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
                  Don't be ridiculous.
                  I was talking about SKA, not squirrel news...

Comment

I was talking about SKA, not squirrel news...
                    So was shoes!

Comment

Working...
                    X