• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doh.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doh.....

I was asked to review a document.

The author used a template that they were told to use, but was not appropriate. Not their fault.

The doc was however very out of date, and not reflecting the current status of the small project. This is their fault.

I had around 15 comments on the doc, mainly pointing out gaps that needed answering, like specifying who the illusive 'users' are. Nothing too heavy, although I did dare to point out that seeing how three systems worked together was actually systems integration testing, and not unit testing.

I even hand delivered the comments, the personal touch, not even emailed. Offered to give any support the author wanted.

Why then, instead of asking me for any support have they cried about it to their dept head complaining that they are victimised who comes storming over?

Reminds me why I left permiedom.

On the plus side I am delivering a training course to all of the IT depertment about the 'right' way of doing things - or, what my boss considers right, I have just researched and prepared a powerpoint and training pack to deliver what he wants.

Has anyone NOT been here??

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    I was asked to review a document.

The author used a template that they were told to use, but was not appropriate. Not their fault.

The doc was however very out of date, and not reflecting the current status of the small project. This is their fault.

I had around 15 comments on the doc, mainly pointing out gaps that needed answering, like specifying who the illusive 'users' are. Nothing too heavy, although I did dare to point out that seeing how three systems worked together was actually systems integration testing, and not unit testing.

I even hand delivered the comments, the personal touch, not even emailed. Offered to give any support the author wanted.

Why then, instead of asking me for any support have they cried about it to their dept head complaining that they are victimised who comes storming over?

Reminds me why I left permiedom.

On the plus side I am delivering a training course to all of the IT depertment about the 'right' way of doing things - or, what my boss considers right, I have just researched and prepared a powerpoint and training pack to deliver what he wants.

Sorry, but are you crazy?? when reviewing a permie's doc, just say they are excellent, you've never seen a better technical documentation in your life, and ask permission to keep a copy so that you'd frame it and remember the great moment and the permie's great achievement for the rest of your life

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
      Sorry, but are you crazy?? when reviewing a permie's doc, just say they are excellent, you've never seen a better technical documentation in your life, and ask permission to keep a copy so that you'd frame it and remember the great moment and the permie's great achievement for the rest of your life
      I knew I was going wrong somewhere....... The problem being that I am the Quality Function, hence have the poisened challice of keeping the gate. Why no permie wants the post!

Comment

I knew I was going wrong somewhere....... The problem being that I am the Quality Function, hence have the poisened challice of keeping the gate. Why no permie wants the post!
        Still as if anyone at all is going to read this document

My suggestion would be is to give lots of complements, then suggest to the PMs to take ownership of this document to keep it safe, in a few days or a week update it yourself and tell the others you are just keeping it in synch as things in the project are moving on... dunno, I suppose you can't take ownership of everything... I too notice how sensitive permies get when a contractor reviews their docs, I often get emails from others saying let me know if you are happy with what I wrote and mostly (as long as there is nothing gravely wrong) I complement them.. no need to point out every little thing, someone else would do this sooner or later

But if I see something gravely wrong (i.e. technically wrong)like you I contact them tell them what a fantastic piece of work, only it seems they've been a victim of miscommunication, how unfair on them that no one told them about such and such changes.... aaaaahhhh pat them on the back and tell them its not their fault its someone else being inept, and then offer to add/correct anything you see wrong yourself, obviously take no credit what so ever, give the credit all to the permie...

Gosh am sooooo chatty!!

Comment

Not since reading the Dale Carnegie book. Now I can merrily dish out backhanded compliments and have them begging for more while unwittingly mending their evil ways. It's all in the delivery.

Comment

Working...
          X