• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

de-icing the car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

de-icing the car

So who uses that de-icer spray to remove the frost off the cars? vs. me who uses a scraper. I watched the neighbour de-ice here car, then pull out a squeege to clean the glass. Seems to take much longer than scraping it off.
    Is there some advantage to using the spray ?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    So who uses that de-icer spray to remove the frost off the cars? vs. me who uses a scarper. I watched the neighbour de-ice here car, then pull out a squeege to clean the glass. Seems to take much longer than scarping it off.
    Is there some advantage to using the spray ?
    Yes. The overspray will eat into your paintwork quick sharp.

Start the car up 10mins before driving to get it warmed up and de-iced.

Nice and toastie for the journey.

Failing that, work from home.

Comment

On several of my cars I have a little button on the remote I can press if I find the car is icy. I then go back indoors, wait a couple of minutes, and then can go back outside and find the car de-iced.

One has electric heaters in all the windows etc. another has some petrol powered heater that fills the car with warm air

Incidentally the cars that I don't have this on I would not dare take out in such conditions, far too dangerous.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I just teleport my car to the bahamas for 10 minutes to de-ice it.

Then I teleport wherever I was going to the bahamas as well.

Then I go back to bed cause it all seems like too much hassle.

Threaded

Comment

I do work from home now! My client got me laptop with at VPN connection into their network.

But I still have to take care of the wife...who can't scrape worth anything. Have you noticed this this changes s c r a p e to scarpe?

In Canada no one uses a de-icer...besides it probably wouldn't work at -20. Its always warm car for 5 minutes, whilst scraping off ice (perhaps even chipping it off if there's been freezing rain). You may need to do this three or four times a day in bad weather.
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I have a Fiesta with one of those quick clear windscreens.

Normally takes 30 secs, but even the quick clear struggled this morning!

Comment

Just plan ahead and put a sheet over the window screen. Rear window can defrost itself with heated elements.

Southern fairies....de-icer in a can???

Comment

I just take a 2 litre bottle filled with hot water from the tap to the car, pour it over whatever windows / windscreens have ice on it and it is gone.
                my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Originally posted by ferret View Post
                  I just take a 2 litre bottle filled with hot water from the tap to the car, pour it over whatever windows / windscreens have ice on it and it is gone.
                  I find that technique just causes the water to ice up almost immediately if it is below zero.

Comment

Ride a motorbike when it’s icy, that way you don't have to worry about the windscreen.

HTH
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X