• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the MAC experts: Problem installing Skype

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the MAC experts: Problem installing Skype

Hello Team,

firstly happy christmas,

I have MAC, (well I don't but a relative does) and he has MAC/OS 10.3.9 and when he downloads SKYPE and tries to install it,

he clicks on the downloaded skype icon, there are no error messages, the Skype symbol bounces in the DOCK but otherwise nothing happens and he cannot get Skype to run.

Any MAC experts amongst the membership who are in a christmas spirit and have some ideas on this.

Thanks,

Milan.

Not being a Mac expert (or, for that matter, having never actually used one), but being proficient in the art of Google, there seems to be a problem with the latest release of Skype...

Try an earlier one is the resounding answer.

HTH
    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Was the download a disk image? (.dmg)

If so, double-click it, and when it's open, drag the skype icon to the applications folder to install it. Once that's done, eject the disk image in Finder, navigate to Applications, and start it up by double-clicking the icon there.

If that fails - I have no idea other than troubleshooting under mac help or skype help - as I haven't installed Skype on a mac before.

Comment

Works fine on my PC.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Works fine on my PC.

HTH
          About as much as normal.
          The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Works fine on my PC.

HTH
            Does it run on DOS?
            "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Runs fine under Linux
              Me, me, me...

Comment

10.3.9 is very old. Check latest skype is compatible with that release os OS X

Also - follow RH's advice for install above if you haven't already.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Go to applications -> utilities and open Console. This will show you any error messages sent out by Skype. Personally I'm thinking that the latest version won't be compatible with Jaguar (10.3) so you may have to find an older version that is.
                  Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                  X