• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

alreadypacked is in trouble!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alreadypacked is in trouble!

6,000 cops to keep SEZ protesters at bay in Goa
    26 Dec 2007, 0248 hrs IST,TNN

PANAJI: Come what may, the Goa government will not allow any violence during the Christmas and New Year celebrations when lakhs of domestic and foreign tourists throng the coastal state, chief minister Digambar Kamat said on Monday.

To make his point, the Congress-led government has decided to invoke prohibitory orders and press into service 6,000 police personnel drawn from the India reserve battalion and Goa police.

The harried CM took an early flight from Mumbai to rush to Goa on his way back from Delhi where he had gone to attend a meeting on internal security. "Nobody will be allowed to take law and order in their hands," he said, adding that he had told the Centre of the protests against SEZs in Goa. Responding to Goa's Movement Against SEZs (GMAS) convener Mathany Saldanha's warning to tourists to leave Goa by December 28 as there could be violent protests against SEZs, Kamat said he was shocked to read such a statement by Mathany, a tourism minister.

Kamat said the words were totally against the spirit of hospitality for which Goa is known the world over. The government made it clear that it was not willing to take any chances when it came to protecting the reputation of Goa as a perfect holiday destination. "We do not want to take any chances," said home minister Ravi Naik, who was present at the press conference with tourism minister Micky Pacheco.

Meanwhile, the GMAS, that comprises some people's collectives and the opposition BJP, suffered cracks with state BJP president Shripad Naik distancing his party from the warning of possible violence during the growing movement against the SEZs.

Describing Mathany's statement as unwarranted, Kamat said: "I made a statement on December 19 that the government is seized with the problem of SEZs and no decision would be taken that went against the interests of the people. The SEZ issue will be resolved in January in the New Year."

--------

Don't worry I'm fine

The price of land has gone up a lot in Goa, so some people saw the possibility to make some big money. They got some goverment land in Donna Paula rezoned as an IT center. Then the goverment land was sold very cheap to a property developer, who is now going to build holiday homes. No IT jobs for the locals, so they are making crazy statements to attract the attention of some senior goverment minsters. Looks like their plan worked. Trouble something like the turnout after a football match. You know when and where it will happen, keep away for that hour and you miss it all.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      Don't worry I'm fine
      It's the thought that counts

Comment

They were arguing over access to the beach when I was there - the hotel I was in had fenced it all off and some locals weren't too happy about it for some reason
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          It's the thought that counts
          and the thought was

Second thoughts, maybe it's better if I don't know
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

and the thought was
            The thought was that if locals kill all foreigners there in a very horrible way, then property prices there would collapse and crafty new foreigners can make a killing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              The thought was that if locals kill all foreigners there in a very horrible way, then property prices there would collapse and crafty new foreigners can make a killing
              Plan B
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Plan B
                Aye.

Comment

Don't worry I'm fine

The price of land has gone up a lot in Goa, so some people saw the possibility to make some big money. They got some goverment land in Donna Paula rezoned as an IT center. Then the goverment land was sold very cheap to a property developer, who is now going to build holiday homes. No IT jobs for the locals, so they are making crazy statements to attract the attention of some senior goverment minsters. Looks like their plan worked. Trouble something like the turnout after a football match. You know when and where it will happen, keep away for that hour and you miss it all.
                  Sounds like Doncaster...
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

The price of land has gone up a lot in Goa
                    Not Donacaster then

Comment

Working...
                    X