• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to negotiate a rate increase...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to negotiate a rate increase...

Hi Folks,
    My 3 month contract with my current client is coming to an end very shortly (3 weeks). I'm certain that I'm going to be renewed, as the kit I was hired to set up hasn't arrived yet.

What's the best way to negotiate a rate rise? Just tell the agent I want £x to stay?

Cheers....
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Hi Folks,
    My 3 month contract with my current client is coming to an end very shortly (3 weeks). I'm certain that I'm going to be renewed, as the kit I was hired to set up hasn't arrived yet.

What's the best way to negotiate a rate rise? Just tell the agent I want £x to stay?

Cheers....
    Be careful, three months in is very early, especially if the kit is not in and you have not had the chance to prove yourself......

Any idea on the agency cut? could be a nice rise, or, they could sack you off for somebody fresh, espeically if the work has not started as yet!

Comment

No idea about the agency cut, but it's a pretty niche job - SC cleared, British citizens only.

The other 2 people they interviewed were, by all accounts, complete muppets.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Hi Folks,

Cheers....
        How will your company justify the increase? Is there a change in role? Or a change in the market rate?

My window cleaner doesn't increase his rate every 3 months just because I renew his contract...

Comment

Don’t listen to these moppets. Ask for an increase , do your best. If you don’t get just keep working.
          I am in the same situation and I will do this.

Comment

What's the best way to negotiate a rate rise?
            There are as many ways to negotiate as there are people in the world. Use your knowledge of your situation to decide whether to start early or leave it to the last minute, and who to involve when. But always a good idea to do some preparation, and know your minimum acceptable figure in advance.

Comment

Well the role has gone from Solaris sysadmin with a few other bits and pieces to:

Windows 2003 domain + (50) workstation admin
              Mail server admin
              SAN admin
              IBM Rational Suite Admin
              DB2 Admin
              Partially responsible for the complete Oracle Stack
              Responsible for Netbackup and Oracle Secure Backup
              Responsible for deploying Siebel and JAVA apps
              Responsible for the Cisco switching and firewall gear

...and I make the tea.

Granted this is only currently for around 50 workstations (set to increase to 100 shortly), 2 Windows 2003 servers, 2 SANs and around 15 Solaris servers, but how's that for scope creep?

Sure it'll look great on my CV for next time, but in the mean time it's going to cost a fortune just in textbooks!

Comment

Milk no sugar please.

The question is are you confident about getting something else? If you can get substantially more elsewhere, then they can't really argue and if they do it doesn't matter to you - just leave. If you want or need to keep this job, then it's not really in your interests for them to think of you as difficult, which they may do if you start jacking up the price after only 3 months.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                X