• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So Microsoft have done it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Microsoft have done it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7163547.stm

Netscape are the ones guilty in making crappy v4 of the browser - IE4, and especially 5 was much better than anything Netscape did, only many years later they got better stuff and only because volunteers forced them to work on standalone browser rather than a bunch of things that few people used.

FF users for many years now and never look back at IE.

Comment

I used Netscape up until 3 or 4 years ago, when they released a version that had the hugest memory leak I've ever seen (that must have been v4 - thanks AtW). They were good for a while but threw it all away long ago.

Michael Lewis's book about Jim Clark is a thumping good read though, and a great way to relive the 90s.

Comment

The court case was just for show. Microsoft stalled until it didn't matter..It was a win win for them.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Court case had wrong vector of attack - they somehow tried to argue that bundling IE was anti-competitive whereas it was 100% Microsoft decision to do so, what WAS anti-competitive is Microsoft's threats to remove Windows license from OEMs who would bundle Netscape as well - now THAT was 100% illegal action by Microsoft and this is what prosecution should have focused on.

Comment

Netscape's foul-up is web-known and their own fault. MS ensured they are the dominant browser but Netscape were the ones who lost out to FireFox through ludicrous decisions.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Netscape were the ones who lost out to FireFox through ludicrous decisions.
              Netscape did not exist at this point - there was brand Netscape and a handful of people employed by AOL, but they did not have a clue much like AOL did not have a clue when they bought Netscape in the first place.

Good thing is that they funded Mozilla however - otherwise we'd be stuck with IE.

Comment

[QUOTE=thunderlizard;403412]I used Netscape up until 3 or 4 years ago, when they released a version that had the hugest memory leak I've ever seen QUOTE]

Or Windows had a secret feature ...

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
                  Or Windows had a secret feature ...
                  This is one of the biggest rubbish myths out there - secret APIs that made Microsoft stuff better.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    This is one of the biggest rubbish myths out there - secret APIs that made Microsoft stuff better.
                    If you have missed , Sun a couple of years ago had a successful case against Microosft. The case was that MS has not disclosed enough information about Windows internals making Sun's product less , less , less... capable of working correctly on Windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X