• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Needing to ask for VAT receipts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing to ask for VAT receipts

Why do we have to ask for VAT receipts for petrol?

I know why we need them, but why is it necessary to ask for them to be printed and handed over? Why aren't they given out automatically?

I've done shedloads of driving all over the UK this past couple of years. Invariably, when paying for petrol you get a receipt. But it is marked "* THIS IS NOT A VAT RECEIPT *". Why do they do that?

Many moons ago, I used to code retail systems (programmable tills and their like) and so I know there is no technical reason why a VAT receipt should be separate.

Everywhere else you go (i.e. other than petrol stations), every receipt is a VAT receipt.

So, what is it about petrol stations that they do not give you a VAT receipt automatically, and that instead you have to ask for it and it comes as a separate receipt?
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Tesco do.

But I agree I don't understand why they can't just have one receipt.

I don't collect them since I joined the FRS.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I only needed them when I was a permie and driving hire cars. Now I just keep mileage logs for my journeys, the receipts for fuel (or vat) is not relevant to me anymore.

I know what you mean though, why do you have to ask ffs.

I forgot to get a vat receipt once and had to go back to the station to get one. Luckily they were able to print one off as the transaction was only an hour earlier. I know the company I was working for at the time would have thrown it back at me and I'd have been 70 quid out of pocket. I wouldn't have been happy then.
      Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

All VAT registered businesses should be obliged to supply only VAT receipts.

There are only so many times you can go throught that stupid conversation with uninformed shop or restaurant staff who think that just having a VAT number on a receipt makes it a VAT receipt. After a while you stop asking.

Another deliberate tax con. I suspect HMRC are very happy with the current situation as it reduces the amount reclaimed.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          just having a VAT number on a receipt makes it a VAT receipt.
          What exactly should be on receipt apart from VAT number, VAT amount and total amount?

Comment

Since I registered for the flat rate VAT, I too started just logging my mileage, stopped collecting petrol receipts (well I do but don't really file them they are all in one bulging tesco bag )

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              What exactly should be on receipt apart from VAT number, VAT amount and total amount?
              Seconded - Xog, could you explain that one more time to uninformed contractors instead of petrol station staff?

I honestly thought that having the VAT reg no, the purchase amount and the VAT amount, as well as the business name and the usual stuff, was enough.

Erk

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                I honestly thought that having the VAT reg no, the purchase amount and the VAT amount, as well as the business name and the usual stuff, was enough.
                I think Xog has confused this site with his blow where he writes his disturbing stories

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  I've seen them say the amount of VAT, the VAT number, and "This is not a VAT receipt". Perhaps what makes it a VAT receipt is not having "This is not a VAT receipt" on it?

I'd always have to be careful not to count the same purchase twice as I'd have a credit card receipt and VAT receipt with the same information.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Hmm, There's definately something going on here.
                    I've noticed when I do ask for a VAT receipt (always) that the kid
                    behind the till often gives me the 'normal' receipt, then waits for me to go away, then when I ask for the VAT receipt again gives it to me and puts another receipt ( copy of the VAT receipt) in some special pile.

Of course HMRC aren't interested in VAT fraud, just persecuting small businesses.

RS

Comment

Working...
                    X