• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poles taking all the jobs...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poles taking all the jobs...

Out for my morning bicycle ride and I meet up with an aquaintance also out on their morning ride. We get to chatting. Now, she's some sort of union person so I thought I'd wind her up about all these Poles coming and taking all the jobs by undercutting the locals on pay.

Turns out there are laws about that, there are minimum wages for various jobs the unions have agreed with the employers. That isn't the problem, if anything the Poles get paid more than the locals, the union has problems because they have a lax attitude to on-site safety.

So, how is it the Poles are getting these jobs? Apparently they tend to be far better trained, and more efficient in that the job is done right first time. Right first time is the major part of what actually what makes them so much cheaper to the employers.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Yup, can't say fairer than that.

Churchill - In "Fairer than that" mode!

Comment

Half the reason that they are taking all the jobs is that they will do them.

Poor old Kev sitting at home with a beer in one hand and a fag in the other is too busy watching TV in his council supplied house while he waits for the government to transfer his benefits direct into his bank account to worry about getting a job. Secondly he isn't going to work for less than £30,000 a year as if he does it means he is worse off than if he is on benefits.... As soon as he starts earning he has to pay all his bills and his accomodation and can't just watch TV and play games on the internet all day.

Anybody worked out what is wrong with this country yet ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
        Half the reason that they are taking all the jobs is that they will do them.

Poor old Kev sitting at home with a beer in one hand and a fag in the other is too busy watching TV in his council supplied house while he waits for the government to transfer his benefits direct into his bank account to worry about getting a job. Secondly he isn't going to work for less than £30,000 a year as if he does it means he is worse off than if he is on benefits.... As soon as he starts earning he has to pay all his bills and his accomodation and can't just watch TV and play games on the internet all day.

Anybody worked out what is wrong with this country yet ?
        No, but I'm interested in Kev's lifestyle. How does one go about getting a free house and benefits?
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I was at a party at my brothers last night... he is a carpenter. There were a load of fellas there who he works with who were Polish, really nice fella's (felt sorry for them that they were so far from home at Christmas, TBH) Anyway, apparantly they are work a lot harder than most of the Irish crowd but still get a pile of grief from people!! My brothers boss has said that if he had to pick between an Irish guy and a Pole he would choose a Pole 'cos he knows they won't mess him around....

I think it's the same in England as it is here..... it's too easy for the locals to complain and bitch about the Poles... they should get up off their fat asses and do thier jobs properly.... or in Kevs case... get a job!!

Oh my, I think I have just had a rant!!
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I am sure you will be pleased to know that I got some polish roots too

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
              or in Kevs case... get a job!!

I could not have told off sadguru better!

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                Poor old Kev sitting at home with a beer in one hand and a fag in the other is too busy watching TV in his council supplied house
                Poor Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Poor Kevin
                  Is he your cousin?
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    Is he your cousin?
                    No. I'd describe him as a complete opposite of AtW - no wit, no success, and he owns an overpriced house

Comment

Working...
                    X