• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I go ahead with a faxed contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I go ahead with a faxed contract?

As someone knows, some contracts have very short notice to start. sometimes, I got a signed contract by fax from agency. I just wonder if there is any legal problem when I start a contract with a faxed contract. Thank you for your advice.

Originally posted by topgun View Post
    As someone knows, some contracts have very short notice to start. sometimes, I got a signed contract by fax from agency. I just wonder if there is any legal problem when I start a contract with a faxed contract. Thank you for your advice.
    Nope, on many occasions I started a job without even receiving a contract!! the fact you showed up on client site means you accepted the contract. You can sort out the paperwork after starting.

Comment

Not a lawyer, but I think you should be allright - even verbal contract has legal force, an email exchange with agreed contractual obligations should stay in court, and faxed copy should be almost as good as real deal - at least for low valued things, ie if you were selling diamonds then trusting fax would probably be foolish, but in this case it should be allright. Don't blame me if it won't be though - the risk is always yours, but if I was in your position (barring any obvious errors in contract) I'd accept it.

Comment

IANAL but if you agree to their terms and have not made a counter offer then in your situation it is sufficient to communicate to the agency (ex. by email) that you accept the contract and the contract will be binding.

Comment

You're fine. The important thing is that both parties signal an unambiguous intention to abide by the contract, and exchanging signed faxes achieves that.

Comment

No.

All IT contracts must be signed in the blood of a virgin recruitment agent.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by topgun View Post
              Faxed signatures on contracts are legally binding. The law was changes some ten years ago,

The best contract I had took five mins to interview over the phone. Was faxed and signed an hour later. Flew out to client next morning.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Do people still use fax?

I gather there’s case law for telegraph messages dating back donkey’s years, let alone fax. Though that may be America…

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Do people still use fax?

I gather there’s case law for telegraph messages dating back donkey’s years, let alone fax. Though that may be America…
                  Indeed. Here is one case that I know of, dated 29th July 1893:

http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKPC/1893/1.html

Comment

It's a question of what will be accepted in court as proof the contract was agreed. Faxed signed documents have always (since I can remember) been as good as originals. New legislation means emails will do now. My agency emails me a contract and asks me to forward it back to them indicating my acceptance. (Forward rather than reply so the attachment is not discarded.) I think I do usually have to follow up with a signed document before they will actually pay the first invoice, but I suspect that it just "belt and braces" on their part.

Comment

Working...
                    X