• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain braced for snow and Siberian temperatures

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last updated at 17:21pm on 1st January 2008

Britain was braced for snow today as forecasters warned of a cold snap coming.

Freezing Siberian winds will send temperatures plummeting on Wednesday, they said.

The worst-affected parts of the country could experience "disruptive" snow causing delays on roads and public transport.

Extreme weather could see a repeat of the snow that brought some areas of Scotland to a standstill in 2001

Snowfalls are predicted for late on Thursday, with some areas expecting heavy downfalls.

The prediction will put motorists and gritting trucks on alert.

New Year revellers were warmed on their journeys home by a thick blanket of cloud across the country, but forecasters warned the warm weather wouldn't last long.

Jeremy Plester from forecasters Meteogroup UK said most parts of the country would probably see some snow.

And the North East of England, Lincolnshire and the Pennines could see large falls, he warned.

"It's reasonably mild at the moment but there's cold air coming from Russia (AtW's comment: I was the warm one...) that's going to be moving across the whole of the UK tomorrow."

"There's the potential there for quite a lot of snow.

He said temperatures, currently around eight or nine degrees in much of the country, were likely to fall to as low as minus two.

But with the wind chill, it will feel as low as minus eight.

"It will feel really really raw and cold with the wind blowing," he warned.

Met Office Head of Forecasting, Brian Golding said: "After a mild Christmas and New Year, we will notice a real change to some cold and wintry weather.

"We will need be prepared and wrap up well against the cold weather as we head back to work in 2008."

The Highways Agency has issued a warning to motorists.

With snow predicted from tomorrow through to Friday across parts of the country, people were advised to plan ahead.

An agency spokeswoman said: "The Highways Agency is advising drivers to check weather forecasts and road conditions, prepare for their journey and delay travelling if the weather becomes severe.

"Drivers are advised to carry warm clothing and an emergency pack in the car, which includes food and water, boots, de-icer, a torch and a spade.

"Plan your journey before leaving home and make sure you have plenty of fuel for your journey. Check your route for delays, and the weather forecast."

The spokeswoman added: "Our winter fleet will be out treating our network of motorways and all major A roads. Take care around spreading vehicles and vehicles clearing snow and only overtake if you can do so safely, without driving on any uncleared snow.

"These vehicles are performing essential work to help keep roads open and may be travelling at low speed."

Motorists were advised to listen to travel news on their car radios or tune into the Agency's Traffic Radio.

------

Looks like it will be good week to be a squirrel with warm coat

mmm

you never know with our record of forecasts. i wouldn't be surprised if its cracking the flags on thursday!

Comment

as long as we get a good summer...

I get a/c installed - dont want to think I wasted my money

Comment

I don't mind a cold snap if there's plenty of snow to go with it. Cold without snow is no fun.

It's forecast to be mild again on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          I don't mind a cold snap if there's plenty of snow to go with it. Cold without snow is no fun.

It's forecast to be mild again on Saturday.
          <chucks snowball at TW>

Comment

Bugga.

I drive across the Pennines on the highest motorway summit in England.

*Packs emergency gear*

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
              Bugga.

I drive across the Pennines on the highest motorway summit in England.

*Packs emergency gear*
              Is that where Top Gear do all those picturesque shots whenever they review a new Jag?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                Is that where Top Gear do all those picturesque shots whenever they review a new Jag?
                No idea, but it is very picturesque there. However, also always foggy and blowing gales, so never get to appreciate any scenery! Also ALWAYS c r a w l i n g .

Comment

Glad I've got a 4x4 with chunky tires and a winch

Then again, the last time we had blizzards, the Land rover got stuck and I used a mini clubman 850 to get around in, I was passing bogged down 4x4's coz the mini was riding over the surface.

Maybe I should go and buy another mini
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

OMG Diver !

/scared
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X