• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meet New York City's 'Squirrel Guy'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meet New York City's 'Squirrel Guy'

Rehabber saves critters in crisis

NEW YORK -- They're furry, cute and curious and they number in the thousands in Central Park.

Squirrels. There's a man in Manhattan so serious about making sure they survive he's sharing his apartment with them.

Eyewitness News' Heidi Jones explains.

They stand with an air of confidence daring you to catch them. And who doesn't like a squirrel?

We met New York's surrogate mom to many of the city's squirrels, rehabber Chris Durham.

"They call me the squirrel guy of Manhattan," says Durham.

Durham rescues baby squirrels who have fallen out of their nest.

"If it's near traffic or there are dogs running loose," Durham says, "or if it's pouring rain or something there's a need to interact or otherwise it's probably going to die."

So, Chris does what most would not. He brings them home with him to an apartment fit for a squirrel.

Durham isn't looking for long term companionship. He says squirrels actually make lousy pets. But he does give them creature comforts. They're fed kitten formula until five weeks of age, and then it's time for nature's food--fruit and nuts.

Durham also keeps handling to a minimum. And he wants them to know their life is outside so each week he takes them on a field trip to the park.

Durham's listed with the New York City Department of Wildlife Conservation, which means his phone is constantly ringing. It even rang during our interview.

And oh yeah - this isn't his full-time job. You might have seen Chris' face in the FX series, "Rescue Me."

This, though, is his hobby's passion. And with each squirrel released, it's his way of giving back.

"I always say a little wish, you know," Durham says, "I hope they have a good life. A good wildlife. And every now and then I will see some in the park in the area where I released some. And I always wonder, "Is that a squirrel that I raised?'"

And it just might be! Durham has rescued 200 squirrels in the past 15 years.

Photoes and video: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...cal&id=5863780

Your future beckons AtW.

Comment

Can't be bothered to click the link. Does the guy have a moustache by any chance?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

You’re allowed to do just about anything to grey squirrels in the UK, except release them.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          You’re allowed to do just about anything to grey squirrels in the UK, except release them.
          SASGuru, this doesn't mean you can wipe your arse with them!

Comment

Working...
          X