• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GP's and medical reports

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GP's and medical reports

Me and Mrs Jedi have just had baby No 1 and not wanting my family to go without I did the grown up thing and applied for some life insurance to cover the mortgage etc, I originally applied at the beginning of November but now I'm getting phone calls and letters from the insurance company saying they've contacted my GP several times and if he doesn't provide a medical report within 14 days they will cancel the application and I'll have to start again, I rang the surgery and they confirmed that yes they have had several letters requesting this but all they could do was tell me he was rather busy and they would remind him again, now I appreciate he may be bloody busy but a medical report is pretty much essential to me getting cover! It really pi55es me of that my new family is at risk of poverty because my GP can't be bothered.

Where does the law stand on this? Does he have to provide one in a reasonable time or is it perfectly normal practice to just to not bother? Anyone have any similar experiences of this?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Make sure you write the policy benefits under trust
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Writing non-NHS medical reports isn't generally part of a GPs' or any doctors job. While the GP gets paid for doing it this still doesn't give them much of an incentive to do it because they earn too much.

Best thing to do is for you or Mrs Jedi to go into the surgery, and ask a dragon at reception if they could deal with your request really nicely. Also take along the letter saying that your policy will be cancelled if they don't do it and show it to the dragon.

If this doesn't work Mrs Jedi needs to make an appointment for some ailment and ask at that appointment for it to be done.
      Last edited by SueEllen; 2 January 2008, 15:27.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

(Unfortunately?) your GP works for the NHS, not you or the Insurance provider, so I don't think you'll be able to put much pressure on him/her. If I were you I'd contact the insurance company and request they pay for a private medical examination. This is what I did and I went to a doctor on Harley Street for a full medical. They do what they're told otherwise they don't get the business! You're GP gets paid his salary either way.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          Me and Mrs Jedi have just had baby No 1 and not wanting my family to go without I did the grown up thing and applied for some life insurance to cover the mortgage etc, I originally applied at the beginning of November but now I'm getting phone calls and letters from the insurance company saying they've contacted my GP several times and if he doesn't provide a medical report within 14 days they will cancel the application and I'll have to start again, I rang the surgery and they confirmed that yes they have had several letters requesting this but all they could do was tell me he was rather busy and they would remind him again, now I appreciate he may be bloody busy but a medical report is pretty much essential to me getting cover! It really pi55es me of that my new family is at risk of poverty because my GP can't be bothered.

Where does the law stand on this? Does he have to provide one in a reasonable time or is it perfectly normal practice to just to not bother? Anyone have any similar experiences of this?
          Fook these insurers.

They should pay for a private medical exam, after all, they are making a packet out of the premiums.

Ditch them and find alternative insurers that include a private medical.

PS. GP's now earn £250K pa. on the NHS contract, so I don't think they really give a tulipe these days. Too busy invoicing. Kerrrrrrchinnnng!

Comment

Originally posted by sjm27 View Post
            (Unfortunately?) your GP works for the NHS, not you or the Insurance provider, so I don't think you'll be able to put much pressure on him/her.
            The insurance company actually pays the GP to write the report. However the payment can be as low as £25 so won't be worth your GP's time if they are a partner in the practice.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by sjm27 View Post
              (Unfortunately?) your GP works for the NHS, not you or the Insurance provider, so I don't think you'll be able to put much pressure on him/her. If I were you I'd contact the insurance company and request they pay for a private medical examination. This is what I did and I went to a doctor on Harley Street for a full medical. They do what they're told otherwise they don't get the business! You're GP gets paid his salary either way.
              That's a pretty darned generous insurance company. Full medical on Harley St must be in excess of a grand - probably about a year's premium!!!
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

That's a pretty darned generous insurance company. Full medical on Harley St must be in excess of a grand - probably about a year's premium!!!
                More like 4 months premium...had a few different policies.

Comment

Hmmm I'll chase him up at the end of the week and if he hasn't done it I'll ring NU and suggest a private medical paid for by themselves, if they don't like it I'll take my business to a company that does.

It just annoys me that my wife and child’s future is being put at risk due to him being a bit busy!

What is it with kids??? I found myself browsing for 4x4’s this morning… something I vowed I would never do.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    What is it with kids??? I found myself browsing for 4x4’s this morning… something I vowed I would never do.
                    <looks out the window at family volvo>

Welcome, the fun is just beginning

Comment

Working...
                    X