• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any Quarter Ton Contractors Here???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Quarter Ton Contractors Here???

Come on own up, who here is in the 35-36 stone bracket ???

We could start our own TV program

Fatsos

Funny that - in my 10 years of contracting + 2 consulting, I have never come across an overweight contractor, someone in that league anyway. Seems that all the job stresses and strains keep most of the guys lean and fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
      Funny that - in my 10 years of contracting + 2 consulting, I have never come across an overweight contractor, someone in that league anyway. Seems that all the job stresses and strains keep most of the guys lean and fit.
      I have. Several years ago at a gig in Berks.
      Guy used to come in with a carrier bag full of food.

He was a behemoth and also a bit smelly.
      Most of us felt sorry for him as he was a nice chap.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
        Come on own up, who here is in the 35-36 stone bracket ???

We could start our own TV program

[pedant] ton (imperial) = 160 stones [/pedant]

There was a permie at a gig some years ago who looked as if she might be into the mid to high 20 stones range, other than that I've never encountered such.
        If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
          Most DBA's are only worth talking to once they have attained Buddesque proportions.

I did know a contract programmer a long time ago who was obese, ate expensive chocolates at his desk all the time but owned a Ferrari
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

This is making me feel quite good actually, as I'm "only" 19 stone. Still clinically obese though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
              [pedant] ton (imperial) = 160 stones [/pedant]

There was a permie at a gig some years ago who looked as if she might be into the mid to high 20 stones range, other than that I've never encountered such.
              Yes but since this all started due to a program about a yankiee woman I thought that a US ton may be a better unit of measurment to start with. Secondly it is more likely that somebody will hit a US half ton than a imperial half ton due to the lower weight requirement.

If you prefer we could have 3 different threads:

Ton (US)
              Ton (imperial)
              Tonne

Would you prefer that ?

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
                This is making me feel quite good actually, as I'm "only" 19 stone. Still clinically obese though.
                1/8 ton contractor doesn't quite have the same ring to it

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                  If you prefer we could have 3 different threads:

Ton (US)
                  Ton (imperial)
                  Tonne

Would you prefer that ?
                  Things don't get any better with barrels. I had fun last night figuring out what one of those was and after wading through to many carp units so get where I was going (30 pence a litre for crude oil IIRC) that I've totally forgotton what a barrel is again Imperial units are fine as long as you don't have to actually do anything with them. What did the Romans ever do for us

Comment

Jesus

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Most DBA's are only worth talking to once they have attained Buddesque proportions.

I did know a contract programmer a long time ago who was obese, ate expensive chocolates at his desk all the time but owned a Ferrari

How did he manage to fit in, let alone drive it?
                    Another thing, I've only known a handful of guys with such expensive cars (unlike a lot with expensive houses). Seems like keeping a low profile is a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X