• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The pound

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pound

The pound has dropped about 10% against the Euro since last year.

Where is it going?
    I'm alright Jack

Down and further down.

Down against the USD and also the Euro

HTH

Comment

Calamity Brown

Pound will go into freefall if interest rates go down again - on the advice of the Gov't (who are now reaping what they have sown for 10 years). Dollar (after years of weakness) is going up along with oil and gold pices (both of which are quoted in $) and even the Euro is booming with 2 more EU countries joining in. Not a good year for the £ it seems. At least it'll be good for reducing the trade deficit.
      Last edited by Dow Jones; 3 January 2008, 11:54. Reason: Typo

Comment

as nout is produced in the UK, won't this cause inflation on household goods and food and oil/petrol for the UK consumer ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
          Dollar (after years of weakness) is going up along with oil and gold pices (both of which are quoted in $)
          Up against what other than sterling !? The high oil and gold prices reflect the weakness of the dollar as much as anything. With a US recession and lower interest rates looming I'd guess the dollar is getting weaker still against most currencies.

I'm not so sure the Euro is such a bedrock of stability either !?

Comment

Indeed

Unofficially, inflation is anything between 6-8% atm. You are right, we are going back 20 years or so when we had to choose between higher inflation or else.

Comment

roots, you old fangled lot don't understand this stuff eh,

au is climbing against all currencies

all the best for 2008 and let's hope .net rewards us in the same way as it did in 2007

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                roots, you old fangled lot don't understand this stuff eh,

au is climbing against all currencies

all the best for 2008 and let's hope .net rewards us in the same way as it did in 2007

Milan.
                au - where did that come from, this thread is all over the show !

All the best for 2008 to you. Somebody just brought in a book, Next Generation XXXX Development, looks like a load of old tosh to me !

Long live .Net ! Toot toot !

Comment

Lots of my work comes from the states. So a strong pound isn't good for me. I was getting worried as the pound got to $2.10 towards the end of last year.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Lots of my work comes from the states. So a strong pound isn't good for me. I was getting worried as the pound got to $2.10 towards the end of last year.
                    I wasn't worried, I was buying tuliploads of the things!

Comment

Working...
                    X