• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Asia (HK, Japan etc)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Asia (HK, Japan etc)

Anyone done this? .... How easy/hard is it?

Any ideas of rates?

I've always loved the far east, and wouldnt mind seeing what working out there is like - Dont quite fancy the idea of saving up from contract roles here to go out there just to pull pints and teach english, when i could transfer my skills over there if possible.

From my understanding of Japanese culture a job is seen as something for life and being removed from that job would be seen as highly dishonourable and would probably make you a bit of an outcast.

With this is mind I would be surprised if there was much of a contractor market out there. I may well be totally wrong though

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
      From my understanding of Japanese culture a job is seen as something for life and being removed from that job would be seen as highly dishonourable and would probably make you a bit of an outcast.

With this is mind I would be surprised if there was much of a contractor market out there. I may well be totally wrong though

HTH
      I have no idea either but my best guess would be along the lines of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        I have no idea either but my best guess would be along the lines of the above.
        I know someone that contracted in Singapore and absolutely loved it. But that was for a Swiss bank and the contract was arranged in London.

He was only out there for seven months before the asian markets all crashed and his contract came to an abrupt halt.

Comment

ClientCo sending alot of people to HK. One of these people I know well - I will ask about contracting.

I hear that one major docklands bank is re-positioning and building a brand new trading/risk system in HK - using Chinese graduates with Western managers. Sounds fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            I know someone that contracted in Singapore and absolutely loved it. But that was for a Swiss bank and the contract was arranged in London.

He was only out there for seven months before the asian markets all crashed and his contract came to an abrupt halt.
            I have heard similar good things about Singpore and also Hong Kong. My impression is that its easier to be employed somehow by a business there rather than contracting drectly. Singapore is probably the easiest as they tend to speak English better than the HK Chinese and Japanese.

Is it true that most office workers in Singapore work Saturday morning though?
            Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
              Is it true that most office workers in Singapore work Saturday morning though?
              It depends.

The locals do and if the job is arranged locally then it will be expected.

The ones that are sent over by their UK firms get to keep UK hours, in my limited experience.

I know another couple who went there. The firm sent the boyfriend out and he kept his UK hours. He took his girlfriend with him and they sorted out a job for her as a favour, but she had to work Saturday mornings same as the locals.

Comment

Now singapore sounds good!!!

It would be great if you could arrange contracts in the UK for sure - If it can work in europe then i dont see how it could be so much difficult anywhere in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by nucastle View Post
                  Now singapore sounds good!!!

It would be great if you could arrange contracts in the UK for sure - If it can work in europe then i dont see how it could be so much difficult anywhere in the world.
                  Try a Jobserve search for jobs in Singapore by searching the Oz, NZ and Asia area. There seem to be some there through UK recruitment agencies... otherwise if you've got connections with anyone at big multinationals they might have projects there and may be willing to send you there. Don't know what the money is like but the taxes are going to be lower.
                  Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Working...
                  X