• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Book Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book Recommendations

Relating to the tight gits thread, I refuse to pay for shipping from Amazon. I currently want to buy something which costs £8 and need to spend a few quid more in order to qualify for the free shipping.

So has anyone read anything decent lately that they'd care to recommend? I don't mind going well over the minimum spend, just refuse to pay 3 quid or whatever it will be to ship something costing less than £15.

The Last Valley: Dien Bien Phu and the French Defeat in Vietnam

Comment

Argos catalogue - although some fekker had removed the last page so I'll never know which branches start with P - Z.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        Argos catalogue - although some fekker had removed the last page so I'll never know which branches start with P - Z.

Try the perl bookshelf, I'm still reading that 8 years on. Tremendous value for money I'd say. There's also a unix one if you're still hungry for more of the same.

I always have a look at the "best sellers" to see what other people are wasting their money on. You'll occasionally find something new that's appealing to help get the free shipping.

Although Jamie fekkin Oliver is always in one of the lists (certainly for books).
        Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk or the new Ian M Banks hardback.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

It's an old one, but Scar Tissue - the Anthony Kedis autobiography is very interesting if you've got even a vague interest in The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scar-Tissue-...9455299&sr=1-2
            Last edited by G8_Summit; 4 January 2008, 14:04. Reason: Added a linky

Comment

S Rushdie's The Satanic Verses - I woul dbe interested to know has anybody esle on this site read the SV and what was your impression - I rate it as one of the best novels I have read.

Comment

Getting to Yes (someone recommended here before)

Making Time

Or buy something other than a book peut-etre?

Comment

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk , actually anything by him.

Comment

Agent ZigZag by Ben McIntyre - the true story of a womanising bank robber turned enemy agent turned double agent, & the only Brit to win the Iron Cross in WW2. If it had been made up you would not believe it.

Absolutely anything by Saki (H H Munro), an evilly sardonic take on Edwardian England.

Comment

Working...
                    X