• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inheritance Tax - What have you done to avoid it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inheritance Tax - What have you done to avoid it?

The zero band for IHT is £300K and that includes all your property, cars, possesions, savings etc. I would have thought most here have assets way above this level.

See poll.
    I seeked expert advice and have now mitigated IHT
    17.39%
    I have done nothing, but I'm worth more than £300K dead
    21.74%
    I am worthless dead or alive
    39.13%
    I am AndyW
    21.74%

Come on!

If you get hit by a bus, is all your hard earned going to Darling and chums?

Comment

Not be British.

HTH

Comment

Good point.

I forgot everyone in the UK is a non-dom these days and pays no tax, apart from one or two poor bastards who were stupid enough to be born here.

Comment

Major issue

Thanks for asking, was worried for a while. I got a tax consultant to come round and explain the old rules, then said to do the trust thing for a fee of £ 1k or so, then Calamity Brown copied Cameron and doubled the allowance. I am banking on the Tories getting in and raising it to £ 1m. Just about covers me so far.

Comment

I aim to die just before I am worth 300k - offshore of course.

Old Boy Scouts trick that one.

Comment

Good point.

I forgot everyone in the UK is a non-dom these days and pays no tax, apart from one or two poor bastards who were stupid enough to be born here.
              Not your fault you were born here... so turn that frown upside down!

It is your fault if you die here though... move to a country that has a modern tax system not a hangover from 200 years ago.

Comment

I thought the IHT threshold was doubled or hasn't it happened yet? ...or is that it??
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Now my Advice for those who Die

Declare the Pennies on your eyes !

Cos Im the Taxman

Yeah - Im the Taxman

And youre working for no-one but me .....

Comment

My plans involve taking a cruise down the Thames in my new canoe...

Comment

Working...
                    X