• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Council Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council Tax

Just moved into a new house and the council tax is freaking £1862 a year.

How much? What the hell do they spend it on???? Its a bloody liberty!!!madmadmad

Is this the norm or expensive?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Rejoice it can only go up year after year at above inflation rates, just don't call the police when you need them OK, they're too busy.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

How much? What the hell do they spend it on???? Its a bloody liberty!!!madmadmad

Approx. 25 per cent of all council tax goes into the pensions of council employees. Also, this year councils have to back-date pay up to six years for female employees after losing a European court case, whereby they must grant equality with male wages. This costs approx. 140 pounds on everybody's council tax. Mine will be over 1500 pounds this year, but fortunately I qualify for the 25% discount.

Comment

The bigger the house, the more you pay. Simple really.

Solution ?

Live in a small house to save money.

Sorted.
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

I pay £1970 for a standard 3 bed semi , and next council tax year I recon its going to around £2050. This may sound controversial but I soley blame the number of immigrants in my area and the local council admit as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
            I pay £1970 for a standard 3 bed semi , and next council tax year I recon its going to around £2050. This may sound controversial but I soley blame the number of immigrants in my area and the local council admit as much.
            Where the hell do you live, BF?
            The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities View Post
              Where the hell do you live, BF?
              BF ? No Harrow council and I was wrong its actually £2056 a year already

http://www.harrow.gov.uk/site/script...documentID=767

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
                BF ? No Harrow council and I was wrong its actually £2056 a year already

http://www.harrow.gov.uk/site/script...documentID=767
                Well bugger me. That's a lot of wonga mate.
                The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Does anyone out there know how it [the equivalent of council tax] worked in the old days? Was it something called "rates"? And how much it would be in today's terms?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    Does anyone out there know how it [the equivalent of council tax] worked in the old days? Was it something called "rates"? And how much it would be in today's terms?
                    Okay let me rephrase in light of a little digging.

Council Tax replaced the Community Charge (Poll tax) in 2004. The Poll tax system was introduced in the late 1980s, but abolished a few years later in favour of something resembling the Rating System it replaced. Council tax is similar to the original Rating System.

i.e.
                    Rating --> Poll Tax --> Rating

Can anyone remember roughly how much rates were pre 1980s? That is, was it anything like as costly as now in real terms?

Comment

Working...
                    X