• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working 5 days in 4 - how ask client?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working 5 days in 4 - how ask client?

When working away from home, it is jolly convenient to be able to do Monday lunchtime to Friday lunchtime and get the work/hours done in between.

How do you negotiate this with the client?

And when do you raise it? At the interview? On day one? When negotiating contracts with the agent?

When I've raised it at interview, it has not gone down well. When I've raised it with agents they don't seem to be able to comprehend any other than 09:00 to 17:30 attendance. Leaving it until day one seems cheeky and I have faced flat refusal even though the permies do it.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

hmmm, for my current assignment, this technique worked...

first contract worked to their rules etc

when renewal time comes... give them your conditions

worked for me

good luck,

Milan-.

Comment

You've either got to play on the good ( weak ! ) nature of the your manager or get in a position of power and then apply it. I can't believe clients go for it, it is invariably a bad deal for them. I'd try slipping in snippets to your manager about how the travelling is much worse than expected and it is causing problems at home etc etc

Comment

Leave it 6 weeks or so and show them you are doing a good job first. Then talk to team leader/project manager. These things can be done informally.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 7 January 2008, 09:20.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I tend to play it by ear.

Generally, I make a point of saying at interview that I live a long way away "so obviously, I'll have travel time on Mondays and Fridays".

On day one, I tell them "you'll never see me at 9 on a Monday or after about 2 on a Friday, as that's when I'm flying. But I'll make sure that I put in the extra time in between - you'll always get your money's worth".

Not had a problem so far (touch wood!).

I try to be there as early as possible on the first day, though, and then let it slip from there. Or when you've got the gig, tell the agent "I'll be there about 11 on Monday..." and let them handle it
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Leave it 6 weeks or so and show them you are doing a good job first. Then talk to team leader/project manager. These things can be done informally.
            Agree with this. At my present contract i had a bad car accident on the m25 a year ago. Hurt my back a bit, and the 2 hour train/bus journey in wasn't exactly helping. My supervisor at the time said to me that he didn't mind if i worked 3 months straight at home.

I didn't want to take the piss, but i did work 2 days a week from home and the rest i came in. Met my deadlines. Everyone was happy. Even nowadays they don't have a problem with it cos they trust me to get it done and get it done on time.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Never had any problems with it... turned up on time first Monday & did what I felt like for the rest of contract.

You may note that I'm now a permie...
              I did that and I am a contractor.

Ok, I work from a few sites. So at the start of the week I e-mail the projet co-ordinator and tell them roughly where I am expected to be.

Within reason the client just has to deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

You may note that I'm now a permie...
                JUDAS!!!
                Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

Working...
                X