• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Complaints about pay day being next week

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complaints about pay day being next week

For those contractors amongst you that are being subjected to permies complaining about being skint, I have a suggestion.

Normally it is about now in the month that they complain "Why is there so much month left when the money has run out?"

Since this is January, things are much worse for them. This week will probably be the week they complain most bitterly: they are back at work, cold, tired, in need of a holiday and the credit card statements are coming in.

Traditionally, one would just be flicking through holiday brochures and noisily booking a ski-ing holiday on the mobile in the office to annoy them.

BUT - this is a leap year

On Friday 29th February 2008, the permies have to work. And they get the same pay as they do in non-leap year Februaries.

They have to work 29th February for no pay.

(I am aware there are logical arguments that try to refute this but they are cold and humourless and best disregarded.)

I heard civil servants complain of this bitterly in 1996 and 2004. Make sure your permies know it too this year. May I suggest:

"Excuse me, but it could be worse. At least you get paid a full month's pay this month. Next month you have that extra unpaid day as well. Since I'm a contractor I get paid for it so I'm OK - but you won't."

Then scarper, sharpish.

This opportunity only occurs for a month, one year in four, and for 2/7ths of those it falls on a weekend, so don't waste it. Enjoy the new year, it's a special one with an extra day's pay just for contractors.
    Last edited by BrowneIssue; 7 January 2008, 10:57. Reason: KathyWoolfe is cleverer than me
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Harsh but fair.

Comment

mmm, thats cheered me up.

The public sector poor souls were just moaning about under-inflation pay awards and the fact that their pensions are crap

I pointed out that by the time they retire there probably won't be any money left in the pot to pay them a pension anyway, so get over it ....
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

To add insult to injury, there may also be a leap second in 2008. Fortunately most will not be working at midnight.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
          This opportunity only occurs for a month, one year in four, and for 5/7ths of those it falls on a weekend, so don't waste it. Enjoy the new year, it's a special one with an extra day's pay just for contractors.

Could you explain this please...I would have thought that the 29th February would only occur on 2/7ths and not 5/7ths
          It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
            Could you explain this please...
            Yes.

I was wrong.

Edited.

Ta.

Glad you were paying attention.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Excellent post, made my day. I wonder how I should spend my "bonus"....

Comment

Hey, an extra billing day year. Thanks for reminding me, I needed some good news. I was feeling a little as I've no income coming in until mid Feb. Because my client paid my December invoice before the end of last year
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Great post
                  Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

When they complain about not having enough money at the end of the month I usually find saying things like "Well I don't know what to do with all the money I have left at the end of the month" usually cheers them up.
                    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Working...
                    X