• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clarkson stung after bank prank

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarkson stung after bank prank

Since AtW is unavailable for posting links to the beeb news site, I feel it's only right that someone else does.

Linky

TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson has lost money after publishing his bank details in his newspaper column.
    The Top Gear host revealed his account numbers after rubbishing the furore over the loss of 25 million people's personal details on two computer discs.

"I opened my bank statement this morning to find out that someone has set up a direct debit which automatically takes £500 from my account," he said.

"The bank cannot find out who did this because of the Data Protection Act and they cannot stop it from happening again.

What a load of old tosh. The DPA is to prevent other people accessing your information, you are legally allowed to find out any information relating to yourself. Not to mention the DPA doesn't come into place in a criminal investigation.

Load of old crap and covering up by a bank who knows that a direct debit should not have been possible.

Comment

über bolloxs
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
        [/SIZE]

What a load of old tosh. The DPA is to prevent other people accessing your information, you are legally allowed to find out any information relating to yourself. Not to mention the DPA doesn't come into place in a criminal investigation.

Load of old carp and covering up by a bank who knows that a direct debit should not have been possible.
        yes - but if Clarkson was refunded he has lost nothing. It is then between the bank and the fraudster. Banks tend to write off the money rather than persue the criminals - IMO this is very short sighted.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          über bolloxs
          Is that what your avatar is? I thought they were called "chesticles".
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

"Not to mention the DPA doesn't come into place in a criminal investigation."

Not according to a guy I worked with. He was the victim of ID theft and the coppers told him that they know who is behind much of the crime but the DPA stops them gathering the evidence needed to take matters further. Mind you this could just be the copper spinning him a line.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
              Is that what your avatar is? I thought they were called "chesticles".
              UPSTAIRS BOLLOXS
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                UPSTAIRS BOLLOXS
                ahem...

Shirt potatos

HTH

Comment

good to see a semi-serious thread degenerating into primary school humour so rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    "Not to mention the DPA doesn't come into place in a criminal investigation."

Not according to a guy I worked with. He was the victim of ID theft and the coppers told him that they know who is behind much of the crime but the DPA stops them gathering the evidence needed to take matters further. Mind you this could just be the copper spinning him a line.
                    I would suggest that it's the copper spinning a line, however I may be wrong. I know for a fact that DPA is not valid in court where I have had a prosecutor tell me that i could not see the video of me speeding due to the DPA.

Reminding said prosecutor that lying in court was comitting purjory and liable to get her in clink for a fair bit of time focused her attention fairly quickly . If prosecutors can spin this line in court because they don't have evidence available then I see no reason why the police wouldn't spin it as well to make it seem that they are more competant than they really are. What he probably meant was that they knew who was doing it but couldn't prove it and couldn't get a warrent to get the evidence they need because they had no grounds.

At the end of the day the DPA is there to stop our data from being misused, not to allow us to get away with breaking the law scott free.

Comment

Working...
                    X