• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home / Office and redecoration.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home / Office and redecoration.

I guess this has probably been asked before, but I am getting conflicting advise so will ask again. If I have a room in the house that I dedicate as an office, can I pay for redecoration of the room through the Ltd Co? By decor, I mean new window and flooring. I know the co can pay for furnishings etc but a friend who is an accountant has said I can pay for things like window etc, but SJD have said I cannot...

Anyone done similar?
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

I asked the accountant if I could put an "office humidifier" through the accounts and he said it would be fine.

He then went mad when he found out it was a 15 x 10 m indoor swimming pool that costs £75K.

Bloody accountants.

Comment

i doubt you could as the window is an integral part of the house as a building, also that tax free "rental of house space as office" would be there to include things like repairs.

Compare it to using your own car for company mileage, you claim more than the price of the petrol tax free, as that is also to include any wear and tear that the car experiences whilst being used for company trips.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I knew a friend who once re-carpeted the office though the company... and the lounge and the dining room and the stairs
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Oh...and I knew another friend who once built a home cinema complex in his house & called it a client presentation suite
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Be careful, If you totally refit the room with company money HMRC will probably try to argue that since the company has paid for the renovations to that room the company owns a stake in your house which could get messy if you got in to mortgage trouble, or want to sell.

Of course they may not.

Comment

Currently I claim £2 \ week as use of home as office but I do not claim % of electricity etc...bloody hector gets way too much of my money. I need to reduce my Corp tax bill...
              "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
                Currently I claim £2 \ week as use of home as office but I do not claim % of electricity etc...bloody hector gets way too much of my money. I need to reduce my Corp tax bill...
                Do you not need a new "office" chair or what about a new computer desk that the kids can use for doing their homework on ?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                  Do you not need a new "office" chair or what about a new computer desk that the kids can use for doing their homework on ?
                  I do need some new furniture come to think of it...how about a new couch in the office?

Comment

jeeez,

'Currently I claim £2 \ week as use of home as office but I do not claim % of electricity etc...bloody hector gets way too much of my money. I need to reduce my Corp tax bill...'

where do these guidelines come from ?

everyone knows the big consultancies account minumum 5k cost per year per desk so shirley a similar calculation can be used for the office at home ?

2 quid a week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is it really worth the extra work for the accountant ?

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X