• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

USA now in recession

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USA now in recession

Well according to Merrill Lynch it is

Link

The US has entered its first full-blown economic recession in 16 years, according to investment bank Merrill Lynch.

Merrill, itself one of Wall Street's biggest casualties of the sub-prime crisis, is the first major bank to declare that a recession in the world's biggest economy is now underway.

David Rosenberg, the bank's chief North American economist, argues that a weakening employment picture and declining retail sales signal the economy has tipped into its first month of recession.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

oh dear (tm)

strap yourselves in tightly folks, the ride's about to begin and it's gonna be a bumpy ride

Chef
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      oh dear (tm)

strap yourselves in tightly folks, the ride's about to begin and it's gonna be a bumpy ride

Chef

Why? Recessions are opportunities to accumulate cheap assets.

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY View Post
        Why? Recessions are opportunities to accumulate cheap assets.
        Yes. My advice is BTL.

Dimprawn

Comment

load of nonsense - shame on telegraph for printing such rubbish. I love the telegraph usually - I read on the train every day. Recession is two successive quarters on negative growth. what does 1 month prove?

Hopefully the adolescents will now be out on this thread discussing "shirt potatoes" and stuff and ruining an interesting thread.

Comment

That's their way of begging for a rate cut...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              load of nonsense - shame on telegraph for printing such rubbish. I love the telegraph usually - I read on the train every day. Recession is two successive quarters on negative growth. what does 1 month prove?

Hopefully the adolescents will now be out on this thread discussing "shirt potatoes" and stuff and ruining an interesting thread.
              Now I'm no lover of the Torygraph, but aren't they just reporting something stated by Merrill ?

Comment

Originally posted by M_B View Post
                Now I'm no lover of the Torygraph, but aren't they just reporting something stated by Merrill ?
                No The Torygraph has taken the quotes out of context neither of them say the US is actually in a reccession they suggest the US is in a reccession.

David Rosenberg, the bank's chief North American economist, argues that a weakening employment picture and declining retail sales signal the economy has tipped into its first month of recession.
                and
                "seem to have peaked around the November-December period, strongly suggesting that we are actually into the first month of a recession."
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Doomed I tell you...

Comment

Working...
                  X