• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using your own equipment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using your own equipment

I'm about to take my first contract and I wondered if most clients had an expectation I'd use my own laptops / internet access etc?

I've used contractors before in permie land and I always provided everything they needed, but they were Level 2 support people and I'm going to work more in project management, which may not need access to their networks as much.

If I get offered the option to use my own equipment versus the clients what are the main things you guys think of? I am thinking security, leaving work in the office etc. If I did want to work at home though, having my own laptop would also be useful in those situations. There's a lot of conflicting thoughts in my head

One person also talked about using my personal mobile phone to make and receive calls whilst on the contract. I wondered if this was the norm or not?

TIA for any comments

Originally posted by coultog View Post
    I'm about to take my first contract and I wondered if most clients had an expectation I'd use my own laptops / internet access etc?

I've used contractors before in permie land and I always provided everything they needed, but they were Level 2 support people and I'm going to work more in project management, which may not need access to their networks as much.

If I get offered the option to use my own equipment versus the clients what are the main things you guys think of? I am thinking security, leaving work in the office etc. If I did want to work at home though, having my own laptop would also be useful in those situations. There's a lot of conflicting thoughts in my head

One person also talked about using my personal mobile phone to make and receive calls whilst on the contract. I wondered if this was the norm or not?

TIA for any comments
    Agh, sensible post in General.

It really does depend what kind of client it is. If it's a bank/govt/law firm, and you need access to their systems, their local drives, then you'll probably have to use their equipment supported by their desktop services ppl, as IT security are likely to prevent non-bank computers connecting to their network.

If you're using their in-house PM tools - then the same would apply. Other companies may not have such strict IT policies. If you're working from home and require access to their VPN - then again, they'll probably provide this, and a laptop for this purpose. If VPN isn't required you should use your own equipment.

Also - some companies will have restrictions on taking sensitive data off-site, and will require a certain level of encryption on the laptop. I doubt they'd want to support your own equipment in this case.

As for your phone - if they're expecting you to make a lot of calls on their behalf and won't provide a mobile for this purpose, then get one registered in your company's name and charge it all back as expenses - you should be able to get written approval for this, it's a fair expectation.

HTH

Comment

I've had to supply my own kit in the past, but it is the exception to the norm. I have a laptop just in case it is needed, but it rarely is.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Generally speaking most sys admins will not want a machine that they cannot secure and control on thier network. The security risk is just too great.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          I've had to supply my own kit in the past, but it is the exception to the norm. I have a laptop just in case it is needed, but it rarely is.
          Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
          Generally speaking most sys admins will not want a machine that they cannot secure and control on thier network. The security risk is just too great.
          What they said.

It's rare, but be prepared to use your own laptop if necessary.

I've only done it once, but you never know - current gig won't even allow me to use a USB drive, so no chance here, but some will want you to do it.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It's also a good outside IR35 pointer if you supply your own stuff. At the start of this contract I used my laptop quite often as the loan one I had until the real one came through was rubbish. Also on my last contract they couldn't sort out a laptop for the first couple of weeks, so again I used mine simply to make myself useful. So they are handy to have and tax deducatble.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              deducatble.
              deductable

Comment

tow figner tpynig stireks aigan!

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Thanks for all your advice. I'll turn up with my laptop and if I use it fine, otherwise I'll use their equipment....

If I need to use my mobile a lot, I'll ask if I can bill them for its use and see what they say....

Comment

I like having my own laptop on site with a data card becuase.

Its generally better kit than the tulip the client uses. Decent res, memory and processing power.

Also the data card keeps me safe from ClientCo internet police, plus I can install what I like on the damn thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X