• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ivory tower syndrome…..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ivory tower syndrome…..

I am working in the head office.

Let’s just say that open door is not a concept that is known of in these parts.

They have ‘drop in sessions’ where managements office door (yes, literally offices) have fixed times once every few weeks when management are allowed to discuss anything with the workforce.

Therefore, people have to either wait and stew on things for a few weeks, or, heaven forbid, try to talk to management in-between sessions.

Does this happen anywhere else? It has blown my brain.

There is some hope though – As part of the training sessions I am doing spreading the love and fuzzy feeling of testing, I have been told to say that director level has signed off a testing policy. Somebody actually asked about this, and why management have not cascaded this information effectively.

I seriously considered going permie here ?!?!?!

Are you still faffing about trying to make a decision?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

They have ‘drop in sessions’ where managements office door (yes, literally offices) have fixed times once every few weeks when management are allowed to discuss anything with the workforce.

Therefore, people have to either wait and stew on things for a few weeks, or, heaven forbid, try to talk to management in-between sessions.

There is some hope though – As part of the training sessions I am doing spreading the love and fuzzy feeling of testing, I have been told to say that director level has signed off a testing policy. Somebody actually asked about this, and why management have not cascaded this information effectively.

Virgin do it quite well. There are set times when they know that Richard Branson is available to talk to. Don't think that this is the only time that they can talk to him though.

It's level 5 of a modelling system put into place correctly at Virgin, and not where you are. I think that it's Stafford Beer's Viable Systems Model (VSM) but not entirely sure. It's certainly level five in whatever model it is, though - that much I remember from my Uni days.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Only in the worst companies I've ever worked in.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          It's level 5 of a modelling system put into place correctly at Virgin, and not where you are. I think that it's Stafford Beer's Viable Systems Model (VSM) but not entirely sure. It's certainly level five in whatever model it is, though - that much I remember from my Uni days.
          defcon five?
          dave clark five?
          jackson 5?
          maroon 5?
          the fifth element?
          take five?
          jurassic 5?
          the fifth amendment?

Comment

Does this happen anywhere else?
            Yep. At a quango where I was a permie.

The head of dept had a saying: "I have an open door policy: close it on your way out".

That isn't just a poor joke either, it is true.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
              defcon five?
              dave clark five?
              jackson 5?
              maroon 5?
              the fifth element?
              take five?
              jurassic 5?
              the fifth amendment?
              No - I was right - it's system five in Beer's VSM.

When done properly, it's a vital part of the feedback loop for improving performance in any system (or organization). When not done properly, it makes the system much worse.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sounds like my last permie place. Management and directors isolated themselves from the worker scum.

It was pointless taking anything up with the management anyway. Couldn't make decisions and had to wait for director "approval" for anything and everything they did. Just a bunch of puppets really.

I take it you won't be winding up your company anytime soon then (the one with the name you like?)

Resist, resist...
                Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                  defcon five?
                  dave clark five?
                  jackson 5?
                  maroon 5?
                  the fifth element?
                  take five?
                  jurassic 5?
                  the fifth amendment?
                  5 go wild in the country
                  It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
                    5 go wild in the country
                    Five Star

*sings*
                    'System Addict!'
                    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X